Logo

2002 350 MPI no start after anchor

bsproul

"My Merc 350 MPI has not start

"My Merc 350 MPI has not started on 3 different occasions after running then anchoring. The motor will turn over and try to idle but then die. If any throttle is appllied the engine dies. I have discovered, by mistake that disconnecting the battery will "reset" the ECM and the motor will start and run fine. The gauges indicate good oil pressure and engine temp. I have started opening the engine cover and the issue seems to go away. Is the ECM getting hot? Do I have a sensor that is getting hot and giving the ECM a bad reading? is the engine in Guardian mode?"

"Please check out some posts a

"Please check out some posts about the Fuel pump and pump circuit, it may be the problem you are having."

I can hear the fuel pump when

I can hear the fuel pump when the key is turned. I also have pressed the schrader valve and fuel pressure is present. Not sure of the actual pressure but it is present.

"AHHA !!! would've been ni

"AHHA !!! would've been nice if you provided that information

We dont know if the ECM is hot, you need to check that as you've checked the fuel pump, do you have a infrared temp gun ? Can you check it with your hand ? Are you getting any strange beeps ? do you have any trouble lights on the dash?"

I don't have an infrared t

I don't have an infrared temp gun. No strange beeps. I don't have any trouble lights on the dash. Is there a "secret" way to reset the ECM? Somthing like turn on key. Depress throttle 3 times and turn off key.

Clean the plug contacts on the

Clean the plug contacts on the ECM w/alcohol and eraser. Check the plug pin/connector alignment for one or more spread wider than the others. Heat causes expansion of parts. Check other plugs as well.

Back