Logo

Stuck in Reverse

85_wellcraft

I have an 85 Wellcraft Classic

I have an 85 Wellcraft Classic 190 American with a 170 Hp 3.7 liter inboard. Today it ran just fine until I was getting ready to dock. I put it into reverse and when I went back to drive it stayed in reverse. When i revd it up in drive it just went faster in reverse. Even when it is in neutral it idles in reverse. I pulled out the shifter to just throttle the engine up and it went in reverse like that too which freaked me out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike

"You will need to check the sh

"You will need to check the shift cable at the engine where the lower shift cable meets the shift cable from the shift/throttle handle, it could've detached, you could have a broken cable from the shifter, or at the engine or the lower cable could be broken, or the shifter arm on the gimbal housing could be broken.

Start by watching the cable move at the engine then you'll need to remove the outdrive and check the lower cable, lastly could be a problem in the lower unit.

when was the gear oil last checked ?"

The last time I checked it is

The last time I checked it is when I changed it last fall when I winterized it. I have used it 4 times since

Back