Logo

2barrel or 4barrel carburetor

jthomley

"Hello all,

I have a 2001 1

"Hello all,

I have a 2001 18' boat with a 4.3l with 2-barrel carb, and runs fine at the moment!

I am the 2nd owner (for the last 4 years)and feel the carb could use rebuilding, since I know it never has been. The boat could use just a little more power with a full load of people, gas, and pulling a wakeboarder.

What is everyone's thoughts of replacing the 2-barrel with a 4-barrel. I also would like to get some experience with carburetors and rebuilding one.

I would like to buy a used 4-barrel carb and rebuild it, any recommendations would be appreciated?

Thanks, jt"

"Well, when you have a full lo

"Well, when you have a full load of people, gear and pulling, you may need to change your prop to a lower pitch.

When was the engine last tuned up ? spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.. compression test ?

Could need a carb rebuild, and you could upgrade to a 4bbl, but to do it properly, you should change the manifold, you should have Vortec Heads so that's a plus !!, just need a manifold (find a good clean used one.. unless you like new($200-$400) Same for a carb (which I have one I might be interested in selling, for a 4.3L V6 rebuilt and ready to run.(already tested to.. )"

""I also would like to get

""I also would like to get some experience with carburetors and rebuilding one."

Start w/ the 2 barrell, use a thick base gasket. With you alone your boat should run 40 MPH @ WOT of 4500 RPMs and a 19P X 14.5" SS prop. With 2 passgrs. about 35 MPH.

You will need a 4 BBL carb, carb linkage bracket assy. and intake manifold; $1,200 +/-."

"Brian-The plugs were changed

"Brian-The plugs were changed the first of this season, and I just changed the wires, cap and rotor this week. I have run the engine after the wires and ran fine, but havent ran it since changing cap and rotor. Book said to loc-tite and let cure, so today would be first day for that, and its raining too hard now.

I do have Vortec heads I believe, I have seen Vortec in the castings of the engine.

I might be interested in the carb., but I also want to get my fingers greasey to understand.

Guy-Thanks for jumping in on the post. I always like reading your recommendations as advise, I wish you offered a class????????

I just thought this would be a good project, without having the boat unuseable. I have seen carbs for $200's and there is a manifold on ebay for $150ish. AND I just though if this didnt work good, I could just go back to my original carb and set-up.

I did get a new prob about 2 1/2 years ago, and went from 3- to 4-blade and changed the pitch. I really looked into it at the time and that really helped to get on plane. I never want or need to go over 30, but it still will. and not exceed WOT.

BUT I dont want to do it, if its too much of an issue. This is also fun projects and WAY cheaper then buying a new (used) wakeboard boat.

Thanks, jt"

Jasson:

Thanks for the kind

Jasson:

Thanks for the kind comment. Is there a boat salvage yard nearby? They may have all that you need. Try to google for one.

"Jasson:

If you have the ti

"Jasson:

If you have the time, carb 'learning-by-doing' is great but would recommend going thru the beginner stage on a car vs a boat. biggest reason is safety. You don't usually get a second chance with a carb mistake on a boat.

that said, before you do anything else, go get a good "how-to" book for your first one. I've been into them for almost 30 years (on and off) and still learn new things about them."

Back