Logo

Reading Oil Dipstick 4JH2E and probably others

pierrecarib

"I've had my 4JH2E since 2

"I've had my 4JH2E since 2000. I just realized that the oil dipstick consistently read 1 cup less on one side of the stick. I guess that this is because the dipstick tube curves under the engine, so the "stick" rubs on one side. Which oil level is the right one, the higher reading, or the lower reading???"

"The proper way to read oil in

"The proper way to read oil in a marine engine is to add the correct quanity of oil specified for the installation angle of the engine and make a mark on the dipstick. One cup is not enough oil to make a considerable difference. On your next change, you may want to consult your owners manual for the specifications and adjust accoridingly."

"Bill, I do have the specs but

"Bill, I do have the specs but there is always oil left in the pan after it is pumped out, specially if the oil filter is not replaced. The issue is that the dipstick shows different level on its port and starboard side because the dip stick tube is curved and rubs on it. I agree that a cup of oil is not a problem but it would be better to know the real measurement."

Back