Logo

Alpha one lower unit leaking oil out the side vent

mrsmith35sg

"Ive read numerous thread on

"Ive read numerous thread on sites about the outdrive leaking gearing oil out of the drain holes on the lower unit. In my case a trolling plate was down while I drove the boat around normally and it appears im leaking oil out of the vents so im thinking it flexed something. I drove it another time and just added more oil but I havent drove it since, any suggestions or ideas?"

"If you changed the water pump

"If you changed the water pump, and you removed the drive shaft from the upper incorrectly, you may have removed an oil seal in the upper housing of the drive.( sometimes these seals just corrode and leak drive oil.) If this seal is not properly installed drive oil will leak down the drive shaft and empty out of the lower weep hole in the drive. Also where the shift connector is attached in the lower unit there is an oil seal. If this seal is broken, then lower unit drive oil will leak out of that lower unit weep hole. The hole in the lower unit is ther so that water drains out of the drive. You nedd to pull the drive apart and check the oil seals. Also if the lower base plate of the water pump is broken oil will also leak from there. A good check is to see if there is water in the drive oil. Eithor way the drive must be dissasembled and checked."

Back