Logo

DT140 lower unit saga

dcdunbar

"Well it's been two months

"Well it's been two months now since my lower unit crapped out on me and thought I had it all done last weekend. But nooooo- friggin problem hit me now on my 1st test run. After running ht eengine for maybe 1/2 mile I get the red temp light appear on the console. I throttle back and then it goes away. So obvioulsy there is an obstuction of some sort so back off comes the lower unit. Upon inspection of the unit it seems as if the "exhaust seal rubber" that fits below the plate has deteriorated and the little lip that fits over the water tube has come loose which thereby obstructed the flow of water. Ok, well I dug that thing out and then went to put the impeller and cover back on then and then one of the bolts sheared in the housing- unbelievable. I promise I was not torquing it too hard. Nontheless, I now need to drill into the bolt and get an "easy out" in there to remove the bolt. Well hopefull I can get that thing out as i doubt I can get a good seal w/ 3 of the 4 bolts in place...

So my question to the forum involves the ehaust rubber lip that broke off. I'd love to get the seal off and replace it but of course the screws are frozen beneath the water pump plate and I cant seem to get them off- tried pb blaster, hear, swearing etc to no avail. So what happens if i just ignore the little piece that came off? See part number 13 on the follwing diagram http://store.brownspoint.com/dt140/fig045-1408601.asp.

I really want to use the boat but cannot handle another month of repairs from the shop...

thanks"

Drop the lower unit. Buy the e

Drop the lower unit. Buy the exhaust rubber seal. I would try to take the rest of the bolts off and replace with titanium or A-13 stainless steel. Tap with hammer heat with torch or small propane torch(just make sure no seals begin to smell) If they break take it to a machinist or machine shop have them drill all the bad bolts out and aluminum weld the holes and retap them. Do it all they time. The bolts in these Suzuki's is manufacturer grade for profit only(only to break and have you buy new ones from Suzuki) Hope this helps.

Back