Logo

1985 # 1 Plug location

ian1982

"I have a quick question for a

"I have a quick question for anyone who might be able to help. I have a 1985 Chrysler 318 that was put in my boat as a re power It had a name plate from capital city engines. I have not been able to find anything about this motor or company online and need a few pieces of info. I recently went to replace the cap and rotor. I numbered all the plug wires but then after picking the new cap I realized the there was no marking for number one terminal. Does anyone know where the number one terminal is normally located on this cap. Also how are the cylinders numbered. I have been going standing at the stern looking forward front left as cylinder #1 then going with standard opposing numbers. does anyone know if this is correct. I am also very curious if this motor has the same firing order as a standard marine 318? any help anyone could give would be huge I am borderline ready to admit defeat and head to the marina. Feel free to email at [email protected] thanks guys"

I would bet that the cylinder

I would bet that the cylinder numbers are cast right into the intake manifold near the cylinder heads.

Fred 156-M

"if you look straight down at

"if you look straight down at the engine , the # 1 is nearest the belts , slightly ahead of the #2 cylinder on the opposite side of the engine.
Chrysler # their cylinders, Odd #'s on one side, even #'s on the other.

Fred 156-M"

"Hey thanks Fred. I actually j

"Hey thanks Fred. I actually just found that about 2 mins after I posted. The number one post on the cap and firing order are what really have me stumped now. I Have brought the motor to TDC and used that terminal as the # 1, but both the normal and reverse orders only bring backfires and nothing else. That is why I am wondering if that capital city motor uses the same order. Is it possible To have gotten a bad new cap, and would this cause this type of behavior? Again any help anyone could give would be huge.Does anyone know if there is a way to id a capital city rebuilt off their serial # that is the only identifier on the block. it is serial 58058"

"The typical firing order goin

"The typical firing order going around the Dist. cap is , 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 . If you hit the key & crank the engine over, you can see the direction the rotor spins, thus verifying the direction of rotation to install the new wire set.

Fred 156-M"

"Then my guess is that you hav

"Then my guess is that you have the wires on ,.,. 180 degrees off ,.,.,.
the dist. turns 1/2 as fast as the engine crank shaft, so the engine will be at TDC twice, & the rotor will only go around once.

Move your plug wires to there opposite position on the Dist. cap. Or start over again with the engine back at TDC (but with the dist. rotor in the opposite position.

Fred 156-M"

"..."Then my guess is that

"..."Then my guess is that you have the wires on ,.,. 180 degrees off :"

If that is the case, you need to pull the distributor, rotate the shaft 180 degress, and drop it back in. Unlike most engines, the distributor goes in one of two ways. (There's a tang at the bottom of the shaft.)

Jeff"

"He didn't pull the Dist J

"He didn't pull the Dist Jeff.
He just pulled off the cap & wires, & didn't keep track of enough reference points to reinstall them correctly, (without guidance).

Fred 156-M"

I used the opposit side as # 1

I used the opposit side as # 1 and am now getting some poping and sputtering when the motor is cranked. Not sure if this makes a differnce at all but the rotor turns clockwise and the morot(looking straight down at the fly wheel) spins counter clockwise. Would the firing order still be 1 8 4 3 ... or would it be reversed? I have found conflicting info online. The distributor shaft was never removed though Freds right. I just caught a case of stupid and didn't check to see if the #1 post was marked on the cap before removing all the wires. I do have the wires and cylinder numbers all figured out though. Now its just a matter of finding the number 1 terminal and going from there. Does anyone have any idea if capital city motors is still around? I would love to get some info on that motor.

"ok, pull the (real) #

"ok, pull the (real) # 1 spark plug,
stick your finger in the spark plug hole,
have someone crank the engine (or use a remote starter switch) over till the air pressure pushes your finger away from the hole.

At the point that the air stops forcing your finger out of the hole is TDC. So when you feel the air pressure,,, stop cranking the starter, & finish bringing the timing marks together by hand, (or however you did it before).

Plug the wire, that goes to # 1 cylinder, into the cap where the rotor is pointing towards, and continue inserting wires into the cap in the direction that the rotor was spinning while you were cranking the engine. 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2

Fred 156-M"

"Is this a reverse rotating en

"Is this a reverse rotating engine? If so, the firing order is set up assbackwards on the cap (ie: 12756348).

If not, and the distributor was not removed, then #1 plug should be about 10:00 o'clock on the cap (with 12:00 o'clock the front of the motor). DO yourself and the next mechanic a huge favor and set it up like the factory did.

Jeff"

Or write the #'s on 2 piec

Or write the #'s on 2 pieces of masking tape.
1 for the wire.
1 for the cap.

Fred 156-M

"Jeff,
I am assuming that Ia

"Jeff,
I am assuming that Ian has a single engine.
Have you ever seen a single engine boat with a counter rotating engine?"

It is a single engine but i ju

It is a single engine but i just double checked it the flywheel is defiantly spinning counter clockwise. I have been going with the top dead center mark on the flywheel. So far I have not been able to get anything going. I have the front left as number one across is 2 and so on. The boat was running perfect before i pulled the cap but as of right now I can't even get a pop out of it. getting gas and great spark so I'm about out of ideas

Back