Logo

671 ti gov question for expert

bruce_macgregor

"Hi, after puting a new head o

"Hi, after puting a new head on my engine, I'm having a problem getting the governor setting right.
Variable speed gov. on 6-71TI marine engine. Have set every thing to spec. per shop manual
When the engine is cool I get a nice idle ~850 rpm. I can put it in gear and the gov. takes the load of the propeller just fine.
When the engine is hot (Normal Operating temp)and I put it into gear the engine stalls unless I increase the idle revs to 1200.
It acts like the propeller shaft packing is to tight , But I can turn the shaft by hand. So it is something with the Gov. setting not allowing the gov to respond quick enough when hot, to the change in load like the buffer screw in to much or something? any ideas out there?? Thank You"

"did you reset injector rack,

"did you reset injector rack, sounds like you need to start over on tune up."

"Hi, I reset everything, the o

"Hi, I reset everything, the only thing that changed alot is the buffer screw is now only about 1/4 " out where before it was about 1/2"+ out. Also the other engine has its buffer screw about 1/2"+ out. I had to screw it in to stop the engine from rolling alot.
I think i will try backing the buffer screw out to 5/8" again and start over.
Bruce Macgregor"

"Hi , I re did all the setting

"Hi , I re did all the settings again, The 6 thousands on the gov. setting was way off and the rack was not set for full fuel by about 1/4 in. for some reason.I reset every thing to spec. and now it idles @600+- and takes the load.

The 6 thousand gov. gap setting looks impossible untill you get it right. I thought there was a mis print in the manuals to have the speed lever @ full speed. It was there with the lever @ slow speed, but took a little work to get it @ full.
Thanks for the help, You were right
Bruce"

Back