Logo

Choke b03 18hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

wam

"After a thorough carb cleanin

"After a thorough carb cleaning, the only problem is it's hard to start when cold. After it finally starts, it runs like a top, and restarts with the first push of the button when it's warm.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone can elaborate on the choke behavior of this particular model. I am guessing the choke is the white plastic thing on top of the carb, ie the "Auto-By-Starter" part labeled 3R3-03410-0?

My shade-tree analysis say's the engine is not getting any gas when it's cold.

1. What controls the electrical signal to this "auto-by-starter", to raise the pin and get gas to the carb? Is it somehow temperature related?
2. Is there any shelf test on this auto-by-starter to see if it's working correctly?
3. Any other words of experience on starting a cold 4 stroke? A shot of starter fluid for instance?

Thanks,
Wayne"

"1) The auto-by-starter is

"1) The auto-by-starter is in the choke position until it gets voltage from the started engine. It heats up and and the needle moves so that it no longer chokes.

2) Pull the part, hit it with 12 volts. If it moves over the course of 20 seconds, its working.

3) Never use starting fluid."

"Ok, removed the auto-by-start

"Ok, removed the auto-by-starter, hit it with 12V, and no movement on the needle. As it runs really good after it's started and warmed up, I have to assume the needle is permanently fixed in the "non-choke" position. Anyway, I put the part back on, but didn't connect the leads, and it while it may have been a little hard to start, took about 8 hits of the start button in about 30 seconds, it did start, and then ran like a top again - as the picture will attest.

It's about a $125 part, with shipping, and I couldn't find that much in the sofa cushions, so I may just leave it in the "hard to start mode" for a while.

Curious if there is any experience out there on the forum, in running the engine with the auto-by-starter unplugged?

Thanks,
Wayne

288847.jpg
Tohatsu18HP 4stroke No Auto-by-starter

"Unplugged is the same as perm

"Unplugged is the same as permanent choke, unless it is stuck in the other position. Since the engine runs well for you it must be stuck in that non choke spot."

Back