Logo

BF200 Flushing

"Need some feedback on whether

"Need some feedback on whether I'm fushing right.

I connect the hose for approximately 20 minutes.

As long as the hose is connected, the pee water is warm but not hot. When I disconnect the hose, the water starts comming out hot for those last ten seconds before it stops.

Is the T-stat not opening?

Is it normal?"

"That's about normal. When

"That's about normal. When you are flushing the engine, you are actually forcing water in the opposite direction of its normal flow when running. It needs to have enough pressure to bypass the thermostats. There is really little flushing water that gets through the main block of the engine along side the cylinder walls. So, that's why it's still warm after 20 minutes. If you are running in salt water, then at the end of your boating season, it's a very good idea to use muffs to flush the engine with one of the salt neutralizing and cleaning agents, like Salt-Away.

BTW - I found that the Honda flushing procedure is very cumbersome, especially since my boat is kept on a lift. What I did was fabricate a 1/2" T-connection with male & female connectors on each end to match and intersect the flushing connection. From the T, I ran a 1/2" hose and ended it with a quick-disconnect and on-off valve that clips into a holder on the top of my transom. When I pull onto the lift, I simply hook up the garden hose with the mating quick disconnect, turn on the valve, and flush it while lifting and cleaning up the boat."

Back