Logo

Distributor drive gear for 90 43 alpha

"lost 5 teeth on my distributo

"lost 5 teeth on my distributor gear on the 4th., i worked night and day throwing this engine/ drive together and i may have improperly seated the distributor when i had it out to prime oil pump, looking for new gear, can not find one locally,
is this drive gear on the distributor the same as an automotive 4.3 v-6?
going to junkyard tomorrow and take a chance , this gear has 13 teeth , other listed for v-8 and v-6 chevy autos are 16 tooth according to napa, are the auto and mercruiser distributor gears interchangeable? thanks for advice"

"all GM 4.3L V6 should be the

"all GM 4.3L V6 should be the same, they all use the same dist, Auto or marine

V6's autos ? broad term as there have been a few different V6's for GM.. has to be 4.3L only."

improperly seated?
I can'

improperly seated?
I can't see how that's possible.
teeth coming off that gear may be a symptom of something more serious like a tight oil pump or oil restriction (is the oil pressure sky high?)
How is cranking speed on the starter?

"thanks for the info guys - i

"thanks for the info guys - i obtained a distributor gear today , as for the oil pump , am reading 40 at idle and up to 80 psi at 3000 and above using 10 w - 30 oil--- this is a newly rebuilt engine with about 9 hours on it---- i pulled the distributor friday night late ! and used a pump priming tool, then reinstalled the distributor i remember the trouble i had getting it to seat all the way, i left it loose until morning to set the timing and i ran it for an hour with it not tightened down, i remember the oil pump "PULSING" when i spun it with the prime tool, the dist. gear has about 5 teeth worn down,(not all the way) the rest are perfect, the distributor bushings are fresh and no play or slop in shaft, the starter cranks at normal speed, thanks for any and all input !!!!!"

"I would check the distributor

"I would check the distributor for shaft runnout!!

Also you may need to find the SWEET spot at the cam, gear may be a bit (small bit) out of round or teeth are sharp with burs on them (cam gear).

Try installing the dist, in several locations even though it may not be the correct location and see if you can find the best gear mesh.

If you do find a sweet spot, then adjust dist housing to realign number one with rotor.

Had to do this recently on a V8."

""using 10 w - 30 oil--- t

""using 10 w - 30 oil--- this is a newly rebuilt engine with about 9 hours"

Your engine should have 15W40, 25W40 or 15W50 oil. 25W40 is Merc's. preference."

"a fellow locally off craigsl

"a fellow locally off craigslist gave me a distributor from his mercruiser that sat full of water while overseas(he left the plug in and it rained) ---- i used that gear and found a spot that eased in and set it up, timed engine at 8 deg. BTDC and so far so good today!
thanks for help !!"

Back