Logo

Fuel phase separation

Bt Doctur

Silver Medal Contributor
"my first case of "phase s

"my first case of "phase separation" , pics to follow, it`s happening. Keep a supply of water/sep`s on board and a oil filter wrench.
looks like dirt, then turns into a pulpy type substance, as it dries it turns into a putty like substance."

Can't wait to see what you

Can't wait to see what you found.. I've tried pouring a couple water removing chemicals in with no change.

"I had this problem two season

"I had this problem two seasons ago. My engine has an electric fuel pump. I disconnected the plug to the oil pressure switch and shorted out the pins on the plug.
I disconnected the fuel line from the pump to the carb and ran a hose into a jerry can and turned on the ignition... voila... gas flow.
Every 5 gals, I took off the fuel filter and drained it into a glass jar. I waited until the water seperated out,and put it back on the engine. After 25 gallons of this, the filter stopped separating water. I eventually drained the tank dry as I only had another 10 gallons in it.

New fuel, cleaned out the carb and the engine ran like a charm.
I used the old fuel in my 87 Jeep truck... 5 gals per tank full.

I've since replaced the spinon MERC filter with the RACOR one that has a permanent drainable water seperator element that spins right on where the cartridge one was."

I`d be glad if it was only wat

I`d be glad if it was only water but it`s not. It`s the ethanol saturated with water that being drawn out of the gas.

"I found out earlier this year

"I found out earlier this year what the slightest bit of water will do to ethanol. My fuel supplier switched me to ethanol without letting me know what needed to be done before the first shipment on ethanol blend fuel arrived. 6000 gallons of ethanol blend into an older fuel tank equals 600 gallons of trash, scale and rust in the bottom of your tank. Also destroyed diaphrams in the fuel transfer pumps, rubber fuel lines that are desintergrating. and that was just to the fuel tank and transfer pumps. the vehicles that the fuel has been going into are having major problems clogged filters, fuel pumps quiting injectors clogging just tons and tons of fuel issue problems. who ever came up with ethanol fuel has really done the public a huge disservice. I have found a filter by BIOTEK that seams to work the best with the etghanol fuel. It has a media in it that will swell when it comes into contact with water and keep all of the unuseable crap out of the fuel systems"

"There is some stuff you can b

"There is some stuff you can buy that you add to the gas that is supposed to reverse phase seperation, however, the doseage is sort of hit and miss, and its pricey. That's why I burned the gas, now sans ethanol in my truck at only 5 gals per tankfull. The stuff I was getting out into the filter, was also ethanol/water mix. Carb bowl after less then 5 hrs on a brand new from the factory engine at the time, had enough of the goop you described to be cleaned out with a teaspoon."

"[IMG][url=""]http://i57.photo

"
url]

url]

sample removed from sep, initally was clean 97 octane but 10 minutes later ,this appeared."

"Bt Doc I had the same crud in

"Bt Doc I had the same crud in my sep. filter a few weeks ago,I thought it was just sludge in the tank from it being 21 years old. I now take my filter off and empty it after every few hours of operation and haven't had a problem since."

Back