Logo

140 Merc Starting Problem

jbois

"first try this year, ran fine

"first try this year, ran fine last summer..connected fully charged battery..cables were cleaned..starter clicked multiple times..both the positive and negative cables got extremely hot..wire covering melted....any help would be welcomed"

"starter frozen, engine seized

"starter frozen, engine seized

Disconnect the battery, remove the spark plugs and try to turn over the engine w/a breaker bar and socket. If it turns over then remove the starter for rebuilding or replacement."

Having a very difficult time t

Having a very difficult time trying to turn the engine over..removed the spark plugs and have been spraying WD40 etc into cylinders and appling pressure to the harmonic balancer pulley but still can't break the pistons free..any suggestions? Is there a another way to break the pistons free without a teardown?

Use a catalyst like PB Blaster

Use a catalyst like PB Blaster. Spray a good shot into each cylinder and about 3 more times an hour apart. Let it sit o'night.

W/that much rust in a seized engine you might as well tear it down and do a recondition or rebuild.

"thanks, I'll give that a

"thanks, I'll give that a shot..Problem is that I can't get a breaker bar on the balancer because of the clearance with the motor mount so I'm limited to using the pulley with a rope and can't snap it with a hammer blow.."

Back