Logo

Blew Starboard 318 Where to get long block

maxxumnys

I cracked the block by overhea

I cracked the block by overheating and water added cracked the block.

Where would I go about getting a 318 reverse rotating long block? Maybe a complete engine.

I had nothing but problems with this motor since buying the boat so my heart is not broken that I need to replace it.

Any input greatly appreciated.

- David

"Hey Dave – I just went throug

"Hey Dave – I just went through this process after discovering my 318 block had freeze-cracked over the winter. As I’m sure you already have, I spent a ton of time scouring the web for the best place to buy, best deal, etc. The options can be a little overwhelming.

I ended up going with a place called www.1800runsnew.com. In addition to price (one of the best I found @ $1,950), my decision weighed heavily on the fact that they’re relatively local to me (I actually drove down to pick it up). I dealt directly with the owner, “JK”, both over the phone and in person. He was really helpful, knowledgeable and patient with my never-ending questions. Having been to their facility, I can attest to the fact that they’re actually a legitimate business…..which is a valid question about a lot of the other places I found online.

Their Chryslers are made by First Mate, which is apparently one of the better remanufactures (also recommended by David Kain on this forum). It also came with a very complete Fel-Pro gasket. Despite the good advice of others, I took on the rebuild myself. So far, I’m glad I did because it allowed me to pay attention to details that only the boat owner would care about (cleaning, painting and replacing old parts vs. having a shop simply slapping old-to-new). The First Mate is definitely a plug-and-play long block and the quality of the remanufacture looks very clean/thorough.

I’m sure it wouldn’t do you an ounce of good but, if you go through 1800runsnew, you could ask for JK and tell him that you were referred by the guy who came down a couple of weekends ago to pick up a 318 with his utility trailer. He’d probably remember.

Not sure if you’ll do the build-out yourself but, if you do, feel free to ask questions. I see this engine in my sleep these days. A good small-block Mopar rebuild manual ($20) and a couple of new/borrowed tools made it a relatively easy job."

Back