Logo

86 120 hp mercruiser steering hard

jmule98

I have 86 2.5l 120 hp mercruis

I have 86 2.5l 120 hp mercruiser. My problem is the steering gets hard when I trim up but in the all the way down position it works good. what would cause that?

how far are you trimming up ?

how far are you trimming up ? are you using the trim up or trailer button ? What size boat and is it harder port or starboard or both ?

"it gets hard as soon as I sta

"it gets hard as soon as I start to trim up. I am using the trim button. boat is 19 1/2 ft and it is hard both ways, but starts to pull towards starboard
as soon as I start to trim up"

You are not getting any respon

You are not getting any responses because I like many others have never come across your problem.
Have you been meticulusly lubing all the zerk fittings and pivot points?

With the OD UP how much OD movement back and forth by you is there before the steering wheel moves? Is it hard to move it?

With the OD DOWN how much OD movement back and forth by you is there before the steering wheel moves? Compared to UP is it easier or harder?

Disconnect the steering cable from the tiller arm. Perform the previous tests again. How often have you lubed moving connections on the inside of the OD? Look for a rusted or corroded pivot point.

"Ayuh,...
It seems to be trim

"Ayuh,...
It seems to be trim related,..??

Try a Different Prop..."

"Too many unknowns!!

probab

"Too many unknowns!!

probably as Guy said, loose/worn gimbal ring causing too much slop in steering. Bent skeg!

If you want good answers supply good/more information"

update on steering: found the

update on steering: found the gimbal ring to be the problem. ended up actually breaking the gimbal ring where the pins of the hydraulic cylinders connect to the ring. currently installing a new gimbal ring.

"Thanks for posting the soluti

"Thanks for posting the solution I read many of these posts trying to learn more, and its nice to see the solution for an unusual problem.

Thanks,Jasson."

Back