Logo

New Prop Advice

dlux48

"I have a 19.5 Glasply Cuddy w

"I have a 19.5 Glasply Cuddy with a Mercruiser 140, comes out of the hole real quick but doesnt have alot of top end, I'm turning 4500 rpm to get 27mph. Any advice on what prop size I should go to? Thanks"

"Your WOT is 4600 RPMs, what p

"Your WOT is 4600 RPMs, what prop is on it now? Pitch? Diameter? Alum. or SS?"

"I'm not sure of the Pitch

"I'm not sure of the Pitch or Diameter, is it stamped in or do I need to measure it. It is Aluminum, not too versed in the prop dept."

"I cant find the info anywhere

"I cant find the info anywhere stamped on the prop, could be a reworked one, I'm trying to remove the prop but it's being stubborn, I did measure across the blades, it's around 11" across. Thanks Guy, I know I'm not giving you much to work with. If I can get the prop off the outdrive maybe the info is on the lip that is kinda recessed."

Tilt the drive up and remove w

Tilt the drive up and remove what you can from the prop shaft. Squirt a good dose of PB Blaster or pentrating oil down the shaft and let it soak O/night. Tap the prop w/a rubber mallet. You may need to borrow a prop puller.

"After two days of trying to g

"After two days of trying to get it off in one piece I ended up cutting the dang thing off, took the old prop to our local Prop shop explained what I have and what I'd like to do (get more top end) and they hooked me up with a new prop, got it all back together and took it out for a run (Dropped Crab Pots as well) I definitely have better top end but the Tach Gauge is pegged even midway thru, the shop was concerned that the prop the set me up with could bog down the rpms but it seems to have done the opposite, doesnt sound like its running real high RPMs, could I be getting False readings on my RPMs/ Prop Related. I'm going to call the shop in the morning but I appreciate the feedback I get from this group alot. Thank you"

Tap on the tach face w/your kn

Tap on the tach face w/your knuckles and see if it jumps around; yes? Replace the tach.

"I ended up trying out a diffe

"I ended up trying out a different prop, little larger and a different pitch, It's working nice now. Crabbing has been fantastic and the king season opened today with equal success.

Thanks Guy"

"I'll double check when I

"I'll double check when I get home, working the late shift tonight, I believe it is 14.5 x 21, comes out of the hole nice and I can get 35 at the top end with some room left"

Back