Logo

Motor will not stay in time

wmlaks

Regular Contributor
the last two times I took y 87

the last two times I took y 87 bayliner with a 2.3 liter engine the distributor turned. when I reset the timing I lock down the holding clamp as tight as I can get it. any Ideals on why this is happening? it seams to do it after about 4 hours of running. thanks Michael

"I'm pretty sure it's

"I'm pretty sure it's actually a cogged belt with a spring loaded tensioner, I would think that the belt would have to stretch a fair bit before the tensioner could not take up the slack? I don't know how much out of time it would go if the belt jumped 1 tooth, there's probably some formula to figure that one out? How much does it go out of time when it happens?"

"Are you sure the Distributor

"Are you sure the Distributor actually turned?

Next time, place a mark on both the Distributor and the mounting and see if it turns.

If so, then there is a chance that clamp isn't actually securing the housing in place.

If it is turning, then is the shaft tight in the housing? And, is there a Gasket missing, or is the bolt bottoming out?

Bruce."

it is not jumping a tooth on t

it is not jumping a tooth on the belt. that was the first thing I suspected also. there is no set amount that it goes out of time each time that it happens. I have put referance marks on the dist. and a fuel line that runs next to it and have confirmed that it is the dist. moving. the clamp looks alright and when I tighten it down I try to turn the dist. and can not budge it. I have tried to turn the dist. after it has moved to see if the bolt has loosened up on the hold down but the bolt is still tight and I can not turn the dist. by hand. this one has me puzzled this is the first engine that I have seen where the dist. will not stay put. thanks Michael

"Michael,

I am not familiar

"Michael,

I am not familiar with this engine, but I would be pulling the Distributor and checking the shaft to make sure that it isn't seizing up as it gets warm.

Also, is it possible that as the engine warms up, the metal expands and loosens the clamp?

Bruce."

I have tried to move the distr

I have tried to move the distributor while the engine is warm and it it will not turn by hand I don't think that the distributor shaft is seizing beccause normally when the seize the engine will die and something normally the distributor gears break

"I just remembered (memory

"I just remembered (memory doesn't always work)something and it might be a long shot but someone had something very similar happen. It drove him crazy and it turned out to be a broken pin that holds the drive gear in place at the bottom of the shaft. There was just enough of a burr left on the pin to cause some friction so it didn't move by hand but under power it would drift some every once in a while. This will require you to pull the distributor and closely examine that pin...see pic below for reference item # 8 and 7

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12488/287869.png"" alt="""">

ok...nevermind...I just re-read your post from this morning and you did see that the dist had moved in relation to your marks...oh well!"

Back