Logo

1999 DT 115 fuel injected

lobsta1949

"engine starts but will shut o

"engine starts but will shut off in seconds,,,temp alarm sounds, then she dies. I have changed impeller, thermostat, also put in a poppet valve where there was none ( which is a bit confusing to me,,,only a plug there)I was told its in the brain,,ECU...anyone have a clue to the problem,,,

Thanks for reading"

"Vinny,
There SHOULD have bee

"Vinny,
There SHOULD have been a plug where you placed the pressure valve. Your pressure valve is under the bottom of the block. See 13, 13A, 13B, and 13C http://store.brownspoint.com/dt115/fig001-1158601.asp

But... the valve probably is not causing your engine to shut down immediatly. Do you have a shop manual? I'll take a look in my manual and see if anything is called out. There are many tests for the throttle valve sensor, temperature feedback loops, high pressure fuel pump, all sorts of complicated stuff when you go EFI.

Also, you say you are getting the "TEMP" failure to display on the monitor gauge? If so this is strange given your engine has not had time to overheat if it is shutting down immediatly."

"Looked in the '99 EFI sec

"Looked in the '99 EFI section but no real troubleshooting info mostly theory of operation.

For the shutting off problem, I'm wondering if it is fuel related. Do you hear the high pressure fuel pump buzz for 2 - 3 seconds right after the key is turned? You can hear it better with the engine cover removed because the failure beep goes on for a few seconds too right after the key is turned. If the high pressure fuel pump does not recharge the injectors you could get an small squirt of fuel then it may not replentish it fast enough.

For the temp alarm you could try unplugging the temp sensor that is just above the top spark plug. It has a green and black wire I belive. Be careful not to run it with the sensor disconnected if you get it to run."

"Thanks Marion for your reply,

"Thanks Marion for your reply,,,,,,,,I see now where the valve goes,,,,Ithere were two places the diagram showed and I put it in the first place my eyes saw... there was a plug there and we took it out to put tje valve in,,,,putting it in the other spot looks like a major job,,,looks like I need to take the main engine out of the cowling to get to the spot,,,,thank you for your input."

"Curious, did the person that

"Curious, did the person that suggested that your start/shut down problem was caused by the ECU do any testing or was it just a verbal suggestion? Working on an EFI engine is as or more complicated than working on a new car. You need the real deal factory service manual to even begin to have a clue. Even with that you may not have the correct test equipment to do the required tests yourself. I'm not saying that to encurage you to give up, just know that there are a lot of parts that rely on other parts and failure of one can cause an interlock condition that causes other symptoms.

Personnally, I would work on the shut down problem before I spent time on the temp problem. Nothing I have read indicates that an overtemp condition will shut the engine down, it only activates the rev limit condition which does not allow the engine to operate over 3000 rpms.

I hope anyone else with further knowledge will please chime in."

Back