Logo

Bravo 22 Squeal at low rpm Mercruiser MPI 50

leatherjacket

"My Mercruiser MPI 5.0 with Br

"My Mercruiser MPI 5.0 with Bravo 2.2 leg (2003 Model) makes a strange, loud squealing type noise at low revs when motoring in pretty much a straight line. Whilst I dont spend a lot of time at low revs the noise is very disconcerting, motoring into a crowded overnight mooring area late at night. Even though the engine is very quiet the squeal is not so there is no stealth whatsoever.

The sound is a bit difficult to describe but its a type of squeal like a shaft that is wobbling or in need of lubrication.

Changing the trim up and down makes no noticable difference but changing the steering angle does. From centre to full lock in either direction my steering wheel position indicator is marked from 0 to 8. Once the wheel is between approximately 2 and 8, either on port or starboard, the sound goes away.

When I increase the revs beyond about 1500rpm either the squeal goes away or it is drowned out by the 5.0 MPI. I should check this more thoroughly for consistency but on a recent test the unit did not squeal loudly when in neutral, although I seem to recall there might have been a hint of a squeal. Once I shift into gear the squeal starts again. Some days the squeal is louder than others.

The leg is serviced every 6 months, nothing obvious found, but the squeal continues.

Any ideas?"

Thanks for the suggestion. I t

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought the noise was coming from the leg as it is loudest when I shift into gear. But maybe not? I haven't checked the belts and will. If it was a belt is it possible to squeal more (or only squeal) when the unit is in gear?

"My thought is that the PS bel

"My thought is that the PS belt is loose or worn. When its in gear there is more load but lower rpm so the belt will bounce more if its loose, when you turn the wheel, the PS kicks in and more load on the PS pump so the belt tightens just enough. Just my experience with my boat."

Back