Logo

Mercruiser 2001 43L Alpha wonbt start

jlash

"It died in the middle of the

"It died in the middle of the lake. Won't start.
Poured gas into carb. and still nothing. Checked spark, it is weak, spark is orange. Could it be the coil or the ignition module? How do I troubleshoot?"

"Coils the cheapest route, whe

"Coils the cheapest route, where and how are you checking the spark.Would be nice to know what type of ign you have.
points, T-Bolt IV or V"

I checked the spark at the spa

I checked the spark at the spark plug using a spark plug. I have no points and it has a module ICM mounted near the distributer. Will a bad coil give a weak spark or is it a go no go thing?

Try another coil to dist. wire

Try another coil to dist. wire. Check for a worn rotor and dist. cap w/carbon tracking.

"I solved the problem of why m

"I solved the problem of why my mercruiser wouldn't start. It was the kill switch. My son who was driving the boat at the time it died accidently tripped the switch. I had almost installed a new ICM module ($480), but after reading other post that mentioned the kill switch, I decided to check it before actually buying the module. I had run the check per Guy Gaspar's list that he post on this forum often. It is a great check list but gave me a false indication that the module was bad. So Guy please add the check the kill switch as part of your list.
"

"Very Funny! John, I had the

"Very Funny! John, I had the same problem a few weeks ago. It would fire, but not run. I was happy to find this too.

"

Back