Logo

New to 318bs

"So, I purchased a 1980 31&#39

"So, I purchased a 1980 31' Silverton with the original 318's and I’m starting down the rabbit hole to bring them back to life. They run, but have been only used 40-60 hrs in the past few years. I've replaced one cracked riser and now I'm debating changing out all four exhaust manifolds. Here are the questions I have for these engines:

1. I'm trying to figure out if that money and wrench time is worth changing both sets of manifolds and risers.

2. Does anyone have good PN's for plugs, wires, cap, fuel/oil filters and recommended oil etc or at least a site I can check out that would have them listed?

3. What general steps should I take to get these seaworthy?

Thanks for the input,

Scott"

Would recommend you start with

Would recommend you start with a whole new set. ZERO HOURS AD good for recording on the service history. The others you can inspect and decide from there. You will see on this site where manifolds have been acid cleaned etc at radiator shops. The service history may have been known on these! If you think OK you will have a spare of something. I have my new spare cast iron risers and elbows in a canola oil bath. Before using they will sit and drain. Logic is the oil will glaze up the pores and stop the internal rust. Basicly like seasoning a cast iron skillet pan.

"I would take it for a long ri

"I would take it for a long ride first and see how they perform. Leave the hatch cover off and better still have a mate to watch the engines while you run the gauges. Don't go to far from home.

Most of the tune up components were automotive, with solid core ignition wire and a fire block in the ignition cap vent.

When you return from your ride, pull all the spark plugs and look for water vapor coming from any of them.

Sounds like a fun project."

"Thanks for the help. Today I

"Thanks for the help. Today I pulled the manifolds and elbows on the exhaust, both were very corroded. I also changed the oil, plugs and removed both fuel and water separators. When I pulled the manifolds the valves were dry and had a fair amount of carbon build, any thoughts? The cap and wires look fairly new not sure if I should replace those or not at this point. Any ideas/advice on what else I should look for to bring these things back to life?

Thanks,

Scott"

Dry valves with some carbon!!

Dry valves with some carbon!! what good news. At least you didn't have one running real clean (vacuum leaks or water leak) or some all covered in rust. Sounds like your a day away or so from a real good boat.

Wouldn't buy parts you don't need. and the carbon is kind of normal for an old engine - it is usually sign of valve stem seals or high crank case pressure. Might check your pvc system.

Can you post a picture?

"William,

I will mid week w

"William,

I will mid week when I go out to put on the manifolds. speaking of the manifolds, I need to track two pairs, any good sources for these and the elbows? Do you think it is worth changing the cap or just get it all back together and trial it? I found this morning when I was running them for about an hour that cylinder four and six on the port engine where arcing together. I've order seperators hoping that will fix it.

Thanks,

Scott"

"You really need to track that

"You really need to track that down as it won't pay to have arcing anything in the bilge. Would do at least the wires -if you can see that is the problem. Seperators are good for that problem in a car, but on a boat, the integrity of the wires must stand on their own.

As for the other stuff. There is a web page called "The Chrysler Crew" (after a short lived ad campain) I saw all kinds of 318 info and spare parts. "

"David,

Thanks for the feed

"David,

Thanks for the feedback. Today I dealt with Dave with Hurrikain and the service was great. The online web interface was easy to use and Dave was there to help answer the questions that I had. From being in the sales/supply environment, I can tell you that they are a good supplier. If you need misc parts for your 318's check out their website.

Scott"

Back