Logo

Slave solenoid on Merc 30 135 hp gen II

theaeronut

"Can anyone tell me where the

"Can anyone tell me where the "slave solenoid" is located on my 05 Bayliner with the 3.0 merc. engine. From what I can see there is what looks like a solenoid on the starboard side of the engine block that looks like at least one lead goes to the outdrve lift mechanism and of course the solenoid that's attached to the starter. In order to get the starter to turn the engine over, I have to hotwire the starter solenoid but the ignition switch just causes a click from somewhere but I'm not sure the click is coming from the starter or somewhere else. Any help appreciated."

"most likely near the circuit

"most likely near the circuit breaker with the red button, should have a heavy red on 1 lug and a heavy yel/red stripe on the other,a small tel/red stripe and a small black ground wire"

"I've just come in from wo

"I've just come in from working on a friend's 3.0. If you follow the yellow/red wire up from the starter solenoid, it should lead directly to the slave solenoid. That same yel/red should continue (off of a separate post), to the main wiring harness.
Check the charge on your battery, and your battery to ground connections. If they are good, and considering that when you jump the starter solenoid you get starter action, I'd suspect a faulty solenoid."

Back