Logo

Question about what oil to use

basi123

"Hi, this is my first boat and

"Hi, this is my first boat and i want to do an oil change on it but i dont know what type of oil to use, can i use regular car motor oil?"

Yes. If it's an older boat

Yes. If it's an older boat I would use 15w40 in a good grade popular brand. If you water ski and run hard all day consider a diesel rated oil. But there is no magic "marine " oil for the engine. The lower unit is a different can of worms. You need a marine grade lower unit oil. And auto oils don't mix.

All OMC engines call for strai

All OMC engines call for straight 30 weight oil. The same as most lawn mowers use.

"I'm using "Diesel Rat

"I'm using "Diesel Rated" 15 w 40 in my old V6.Same oil we use in the Tractor-Trailers at work. I thank myself for that choice, as it overheated pretty badly on its first run this year. I checked the oil when I got it home, and it hasn't lost any
" slipperyness". Our Tractors usually run over 200 Degrees."

"thanks,I have a 5.7L OMC inbo

"thanks,I have a 5.7L OMC inboard , can i use 10w-30 its a car motor oil and its full synthectic oil"

"This is from the manual, advi

"This is from the manual, advise would be to follow what the manual says but it's your choice.

All OMC engines require the use of SAE 30 oil at temperatures above
32°F (O°C).

Although acceptable in a pinch and also in certain weather conditions, multi-viscosity oils such as 10W-30 and 10W-40 are not recommended. OMC suggests any recommendation that you may find on your engine regarding a multi-viscosity oil should be ignored. These references are for automotive use only and not intended for marine
applications."

Back