Logo

Controlsstart problem

kfvoth

I recently did some lower end

I recently did some lower end work and when i tried to start the motor it won't turn over. I thought the starter solenoid was bad so channged it out. Still no luck. I moved the shift control almost to reverse and then the starter would engage. Any suggestions as to my problem.Sorry this is a 1988 50 hp force outboard

This is just a guess. Sounds

This is just a guess. Sounds like the neutral safety switch came out of adjustment. Place the controls in neutral and check that the cam lobe has the safety switch engaged.

"I think that neutral switch i

"I think that neutral switch is on the block and runs off a pointy lobe on the shift lever. If the shift rod going down the leg isn't adjusted right that lobe will be way off. Best way to adjust--though not the safest- is with the engine running on a hose- disconnect the cable and shift it back and forth and measure the point where it just engages the gear- it rattles a little,-- Then adjust the turn buckle type connector (down the leg) till that center spot lines up with the neutral switch. Re adjust the cables from the box and cinch down the lock nut on the turn buckle and your there."

Back