Logo

Prop not getting power

dbl_dwn21

"I was out today in my Chaparr

"I was out today in my Chaparral 18' (Mercruiser Alpha One) idling slowly on the lake. All of a sudden I lost all drive to the prop. Boat starts fine, shifts into forward and reverse without cutting out, but I get nothing at the prop. I was in 12'+ of water, so I am pretty certain I didn't hit anything. I just had the shift cable and gimble bearing replaced last week. Hope it is related to that, and not something bigger. Any help would be appreciated!"

"Nothing at all?
Are you out

"Nothing at all?
Are you out of the water now?Check the drive oil level ,Work the shifter to see if the shoes move.
Remove the lower shift cable from inside the boat and try moving the black plastic end back and forth. maybe someone forgot to tighten the 2 square head set screws Any work on the impeller at the same time?"

"I am very new to this, so bea

"I am very new to this, so bear with me. I checked the drive oil level. Oil is kind of a teal color. Level seems fine. Is the color right on it? The shoes move with the shifter. The shift cable seems to be moving ok inside the boat, but I have not taken the cable off yet. (Getting dark out in ND!) I did not have any impeller work done."

OD oil color is normal. Did t

OD oil color is normal. Did the engine temp. start to rise or remain normal? Don't let the engine overheat. Remove the prop and see if the engine running on muffs will turn the shaft in forward/reverse. If it does the prop hub slipped. But first look at the coupler shaft to see if it is spinning.

"Well then, put the key in you

"Well then, put the key in your pocket, shift into full fwd gear, have someone watch the shaft where in enters the back of the motor while you stand on a prop blade and turn it.
prop moves, shaft doesent= drive problem
prop moves, shaft moves= coupler is shot."

"Thanks for everything! Tried

"Thanks for everything! Tried all the suggestions, and came to the conclusion it was the coupler. Shop confirmed it today. $800 not expecting to spend. Is that reasonable for cost?"

"That's about the going ra

"That's about the going rate around here; SW Ohio. While the engine is out inspect the inner transom for rot and also the engine mounts, stringers and floor. Easy to repair w/the engine out."

Back