Logo

PCM gt40 Starter Solenoid

moxiemeister

"I have a 1998 PCM gt40. It wa

"I have a 1998 PCM gt40. It was having intermittent trouble starting. When turning the key to crank position there would be a click but the engine would not turn over. After repeated attempts the engine would crank and start. I cleaned the battery terminals without any improvement. Today I changed the starter solenoid. The results were It still takes multiple attempts to get it to crank, but now it will not start. I am certain I connected all the wiring correctly. I wonder if there is a circuit breaker or fuse that I could have tripped to the fuel system or an electrical component during the change?"

Have you had any lick finding

Have you had any lick finding what the first problem was? I have a 1995 GT40 and it will click and not start. If I keep trying it will finally start.

The click and no crank problem

The click and no crank problem was the solenoid on the starter. I replaced the starter and solved that problem. Whatever I did by changing the assist solenoid I have yet to figure out.

I should mention that my nomen

I should mention that my nomenclature was inaccurate in the original post. The starter solenoid is on starter itself. There is an assist solenoid upstream of that which was the thing I changed first. It appears something happened when I did that such that the boat does not start anymore. I've spent a lot of time analyzing the electrical system and have yet to find a solution. Bad Tachometer ground?

"Still no answer. I spent some

"Still no answer. I spent some time with the ECA and was only getting 1.7v at #'s 37 & 57. After plugging and unplugging and checking all connections at the assist solenoid, the voltage returned with 12v all the way to the coil. It still would not start, but did have spark.

I took it to a mechanic, who called me in a few days and said he couldn't get the boat to fail to start. With this exciting news I headed over and found a boat that wouldn't start. A difference was that the fuel relay would cycle repeatedly when the key was turned on (not cranking) in the ignition. It did not do this when I was working on it. He spent some time fiddling with the relay switch to no avail. It would intermittently start, but only when you could hear the fuel pump pressurize.

He had a technician friend from a Honda place come in. Basically their thoughts were that without equipment to troubleshoot the ECA, it was just a guessing game. They couldn't get it to fail to start while I was there.

I put the boat in the lake and went skiing. It seems to be running fine now. I'm wondering if a power surge to the ECA may have caused problems that only resolved after it had been disconnected from power for a certain length of time. I've had this experience with other electronic equipment. The problem occured when I changed the assist solenoid, which seems like it shouldn't cause these types of problems. I suppose any one of the sensors that feedback to the ECA could be involved as well. In any case the problem seems to be related to the communication between the PCM module and the fuel pump. With it being so intermittent, it will be very hard to diagnose. Luckily, I'm not skiing upstream of Niagara falls."

Back