Logo

Ready to order my 1409 edelbrock carb cru 454

cruisers00

Regular Contributor
Hi folks. I am ready to order

Hi folks. I am ready to order a replacement edelbrock 1409 for my Crusader 454 1987 engine. I was told I need an adaptor to replace my Rochester Q-Jet carb. Do I need a different fuel line from the pump to carb. or is is the same fuel line (direct match). Will send my old Carb's to Mark ( I kept your address) Henry G.

"Henry, Mine use a rubber fuel

"Henry, Mine use a rubber fuel line with pressed on fittings as the metal fuel lines did not match but mine is a 1992...Whether its the same or not I would not know..."

If they are the original steel

If they are the original steel fuel line they will not work. I have a set of flexible lines from this site and I suspect they will not work either due to the fact that they may be too short because the inlet is at the back of the edelbrocks.Keep us posted on performance of the edelbrocks. I may go that route next year myself.

"Does anyone know of any reaso

"Does anyone know of any reasons for sudden low oil pressure (measured directly with two professional gauges at sender port)on my 270 hp Crusader?
When the engines were decommissioned in the fall by the dealer, the pressure was OK. When it was recommissioned this spring by the same dealer, along with oil and filter change, they claimed all OK. However when I started it for the first time a week later, the engine alarm rang and the port engine indicated no pressure. Readings taken directly at the sender port only indicate 8-10 lbs and not much more at speed. The dealer's mechanics then both flushed the engine and installed another new filter with no change in pressure.
Is pulling the engine and replacing the oil pump my only and very expensive option?"

"Henry:

The fuel line fitti

"Henry:

The fuel line fitting should be the same size but the line is too short. The "best" way would be to obtain a new (longer) fuel line and bend it to fit. You could straighten the existing line and plumb some adapters. I'd stay away from the edelbrock fuel line adapter as it has a compression fitting for the fuel line. any good hydraulic shop can probably make you something flexible and functional (probably install much easier, too).

You may also have to 'expand' the mouth of the flame arrestor or get a new one if it fits the QJET snuggly (Qjet OD = 5.05", EDEL OD = 5.125"). Do Not use the gasket for the top of air horn in the box. If you nibble it or dremel it, make sure it sits flat when the nut is snugged up.

Finally, you'll have to find a source for the choke lead. Maybe one of the 'tee shirt owners' can chime in; i know one just tywrapped his chokes open.

thanks for keeping the shipping info. I'll be more than happy to reimburse your S&H account.

Last item, if you haven't checked is 'overhead' clearance, above the existing flame arrestor. the new stuff will elevate things but i rememeber how much. (Thinks its the adaper +1/4" but uncertain.) I'd be inclined to measure it to make sure you have at least 1.5" to 'grow' before ordering."

Just food for thought...I was

Just food for thought...I was hoping you'd get more inputs from the ones that had done it.

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
287502.jpg
front view

"Dave, Those are GREAT picture

"Dave, Those are GREAT pictures.... I have a similiar set up for the fuel lines but instead of SS braid I had a hydraulic shop make up fuel lines for us. I am there weekly anyway. Where are you connecting the + side of the choke to? Mine are ty-wrapped open.

I also see you are using the Edelbrock intake manifolds...any comments?"

I knew those guys with the tee

I knew those guys with the tee shirts were out there......and they didn't disappoint either!

Nice job Dave!

"I don't have a big commen

"I don't have a big comment on the Al manifolds. The carbs and manifolds were replaced at the same time, about 11 years ago, so I can't say one way or another if they made any difference. I will say that the water passages inside the manifold did show some corrosion with only water wetter as a coolant additive, so make sure that good anti-corrosion additive is used. The manifolds were tanked irridited at a professional plater, inside and out. Together with the new carbs, the fuel consumption is down ~ 20%. My engines will not start with the choke open, so it is active, with the +12v line connected to the same line that feeds the alternator sense wire. Called the sw ignition line."

Was the choke factory or did y

Was the choke factory or did you pick it up aftermarket? I would like to do that on Miss Nancy and replace the old low tech string someday.

Paul; the carters and edlebro

Paul; the carters and edlebrock's come with electric choke. The edlebrock manifold comes with a heat riser port cover.

I woder if the choke is availi

I woder if the choke is availible for a Rochester 4 jet? I will have to research this.

"Paul - if your wondering abou

"Paul - if your wondering about an electric choke conversion kit, yes, there are a few around. In essence, you wanna make a 4MV into a 4MC. The last couple I saw were not cheap. If you can't find any options, I'd suggest calling Cliff; if he can't get it - it ain't availabel"

"Just my 2 cents. I did the ex

"Just my 2 cents. I did the exact swap that Henry is talking about. Only mods I had to make was using the adapter plate, spread bore to square, and bent a new steel fuel line. Just be careful not to let the choke wire lay on the manifold. The wire that comes with the Ebrock will melt as I found out. I connected the wire to the power line coming from the ignition switch. Whole process was pretty easy."

"Nice pictures Dave, where did

"Nice pictures Dave, where did you get that fuel line? Is a Fuel (Al) rubber line legal? Henry G"

"I am wondering what is the &#

"I am wondering what is the "best" way to hook up the choke. I'm putting together a new engine and would like to keep my connection on the engine so when I pull the 9 pin harness cannon plug I am completely disconnected.

287692.jpg
"

"hey; no fair posting a clean,

"hey; no fair posting a clean, no rust, fresh water boat engine picture...
Henry; I don't believe that A1 fuel hose is rated for marine use in a pressure application. I used russel AN6 fittings. I'm not claiming that they are USCG approved, but I'm confident with them. Summit, PAW or the like have them. There is a special AFB carb fuel line adapter in there too. Its all flare fittings."

"Re:
""hey; no fair

"Re:
""hey; no fair posting a clean, no rust, fresh water boat engine picture... ""

We feel the same way when we see pictures of your boats decorated with Christmas lights, & trees, with your scantily clad bikini crew mates, running around, tending to their respected positions, handling their lines and whatnot's, as you motor thru the canals in your December parades. \
All the while we have to suffer up here, with ice cycles hanging from our 12ga. mossbergs, or model 12's blasting the hell out of some poor scroungy excuse for waterfowl. Or dressed in a fur parka, inside some flimsy shelter, we call a shanty, dipping slush from a an 8 inch hole that we cut in the 5 inch thick ice, so we can try to catch a (Lake) Perch or 2, to take home to feed our starving family during the winter months.
Yes we do suffer with our shortened boating season diver_dave. It's a trade off, but some of us would not have it any other way.

Fred 156-M"

"Actually it isn't wired y

"Actually it isn't wired yet. I should have posted this in the mercruiser forum but I picked up this thread in my email and did not look at the listing. But I guess this could apply to Crusaders also. I'm building a 502 for my Sleekcraft and realize I can pick up any 12v key switched circuit for my choke. I'm am just trying to make the connection on the engine and not run a separate wire to the ignition and wondering what would be the best spot?

287904.jpg

287905.jpg
"

"What a dirty, ugly looking mo

"What a dirty, ugly looking motor! I'd be ashamed to have that mess in my boat.

Jealous Jeff

PS: Just got introduced to that Mercruiser only, combo raw water pump/ fuel pump deal. What were they thinking!"

"EJ - Some tie the choke in at

"EJ - Some tie the choke in at the coil. Edelbrock specifically says NOT to do that thoough several posts on this board indicate it works for their setup. About the only other spot you have is the excitation lead on the alternator. Some merc TB-V equipped engines have an 'extra' stud on the alternator to supply +12V to the choke - I can email you their diagram tonight, if desired. I love that custom dipstick!

Jeff - Their decision was based on economics - warehouse full of mechanical pumps and blocks that won't accept them. Adding a cam to the water pump and mod'ing the housing provided a solution."

"Wow...That sure is a good loo

"Wow...That sure is a good looking engine...Talk about sanitary. I was very motivated when I saw your post last year with the filter and stainless lines in the transom, EJ. However, after putting my engine back together and baking parts in my oven at home and keeping fingerprints and grease away from it during installation, running it 2 or 3 times that month PROVED to me, there is NO WAY, I can keep it looking so nice. Just a week of sitting in the marina and the leaf dust and air dust made it look grimey. Hosing it down restored the new look after I wiped it down but within 2 more weeks the elements it runs in just beat me backwards. Films started to build up slowly, light oxidation here and there started to make those shiny parts, dull looking.

After riding my restored antique motorcycles, I HAD to sell them in order for them to stay new looking...after all, the new owners don't ride 'em....they just stare at them."

Back