Logo

V6 mercruiser grinding

haverick

"Hello to all, I have a 1990 t

"Hello to all, I have a 1990 trophy with a newly installed engine. everything is new including risers, manifolds etc..I can't seem to find why the starter is grinding on startup. It baffles both myself and my mechanic. We have tried both new and old type starters to no avail. There is so much torque on the starter that one of the mounting bolts broke. At first I thought that my mechanic didn't tighten them up but now I have my doubts.I am going to tell him to try and turn the flywheel by hand with the starter out. Should he do this with the sparkplugs removed? Either the flywheel isn't engaging with the starter, or the flywheel is locked up somehow. What a nasty sound.I have only one hour on this motor and after the motor is running, I can shut it down, turn the key right away and it starts instantly. But after awhile the grinding is there again. Please help because I am losing sleep at night, and I rather it be because my wife wakes me up. p.s. Guy Gaspar among others helped me out last year alot (the 77 hits on the overheating problem from hell) thanks..I am calling him soon so any information would be very helpfull"

"my last sentence in my previo

"my last sentence in my previous post mean't that I'm calling my mechanic, Not Guy G. sorry about that.."

Have you talked to a starter s

Have you talked to a starter shop? They may be able to assemble a starter that will work with your tight engine.

"Pull the spark plugs,i`ll bet

"Pull the spark plugs,i`ll bet water comes out from a bad exaust manifold. An engine is never that tight unless it was improperly built.Using the Hi-Torque starter with hydro-lock, the starter always loses"

"I haven't talked to the s

"I haven't talked to the starter shop yet , and the exhaust manifolds are brand new..This motor has a 7 year warranty on it, but I still hope that hydrolock isn't the problem.."

What about the manifold on top

What about the manifold on top of the engine? that is the only part off the old engine..Can that be the culprit for hydrolocking?

"Heard that before, the tip of

"Heard that before, the tip off is the quick restart is fine ,let it sit and it cranks hard.
If you find water, drain the manifold first, remove the riser, refill manifold (carefully)up to the joint, and just watch and wait.
I`m 99% sure you`ll see a "wetness" begin to show right at the bottom of the casting between 2-4 or 1-3 depending in the manifold"

"I may be way off base here, b

"I may be way off base here, but just an idea. With some auto engines the starter needs to be 'shimmed', so the starter gear doesn't bind on the ring gear. Talk to your mechanic about that."

"doing boats for 37 years I`ve

"doing boats for 37 years I`ve come across a lot of bad new parts.Do the water test before you start throwing money at it, All it costs is 2 gaskets andi`m sure you`ll find the wet spot"

I just talked to my mechanic a

I just talked to my mechanic and he said that he replaced the intake manifold because the one that was on the boat had a hairline crack

"so that means he found water

"so that means he found water in a cylinder?
the only flow thru the intake if by the therm housing.crack there might let water into the block but not a cylinder.water in the oil would not break a starter.
would you like my cell, it`s easier to explain"

"I am going to do the water te

"I am going to do the water test on the exhaust manifolds to check for seepage like Ed suggested.I hope that it is a starter/linkage problem, but now that I think of it, it did the same thing last year after I installed the new manifolds and risers(grinding noise)so if they were defective, that is why I still have this nightmare..I hope that I amd wrong"

"Well I just have to say that

"Well I just have to say that Bt Doctur was correct in his post to my problem. The new manifolds that I bought were junk..The port side leaked water so bad that you can almost see the water level go down when tested. The starboard side wasn't as bad but still leaked. Brand new pieces of overseas junk. I have installed new mercruiser manifolds that work as they should. Take note that the other manifolds that I purchased were manufactured by G.L.M. The cast metal that was used must be inferior. I hope that none else experiences this problem like I have. The good news is that the company where I purchased them will send me new manifolds(that I now don't need) for they have a 3 year warranty on them.. Thanks to all that helped me out not only this year but last year as well. This website is a very usefull and efective tool to not only learn, but also to save some headaches and money as well. Thanks again"

Back