Logo

Identify year of Mercrusier GM engine

saltwater1949

"I am having trouble indentify

"I am having trouble indentifying the year/model of my Mercrusier 120 h.p. engine. The serial number I found on th eengine is 341-292. I am aware that this is the same engine that was used in the Chevy LUV trucks. Is there is source or way to use this number to identify the year? Reason for the question; Several manuals indicate that AC 44N apark plugs should be used unfortunately this plug is not available anywhere in my area. I was told at the parts store that this plug is no longer manufactured. If I can narrow down the year on this engine I should be able to located parts, carb kits etc. Thanks for the help."

"Thanks fellas, that solves th

"Thanks fellas, that solves the spark plug issue. Any ideas on identifying the year of my engine using the serial number or some other means?"

"for actual block number, migh

"for actual block number, might try a GM site,
Mercruisers are on the above link"

"Alright! Thanks Bt Doctur I w

"Alright! Thanks Bt Doctur I was able to do some cross referencing from the GM site as you suggested, and the Mercrusier and found that it is a 1972-73 engine. Now we're motoring.
proud.gif
"

"[i]I am aware that this is th

"I am aware that this is the same engine that was used in the Chevy LUV trucks.

Not the same engine.

If you use a proper marine spark plug, it will be easier to service next time as it is made of stainless steel alloy. More of a concern in a salt water environment."

"Interesting, the mariner guy

"Interesting, the mariner guy made that statement to me months ago when I purchased this boat. Do you happen to know which model it was in?"

"[b]"Do you happen to know

""Do you happen to know which model it was in?"

Ayuh,... Which model What was it,..??

The motors used in Chevy cars,+ trucks are All different than the Marine 4 cylinder motors..."

"Okay, let me try again as I a

"Okay, let me try again as I am not very knowledgable in th earea and I'm sure I goofed up somewhere. When I purchased my Starcraft 1968 Holiday, I was told that the Mercruiser engine was a GM motor same as used in the Chevy LUV pickup trucks. Through help on this forum and using the serial number found on the plate near the flywheel, the year of th eengine appears to fall on 1972-73. Now, what I am hearing from Bondo is that the motors used as Mercruisers are not the same as those used in the Chevy cars and trucks. Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks for helping out guys, it's truly appreciated."

"[b]"Now, what I am hearin

""Now, what I am hearing from Bondo is that the motors used as Mercruisers are not the same as those used in the Chevy cars and trucks. Am I understanding this correctly? "

Ayuh,...
The inline 4 cylinder Chevy motors We use haven't seen the Hi-way since about 1962...
They are Not the motor used by Chevy in their road vechicles..."

"Thanks Bondo for the info. I

"Thanks Bondo for the info. I obviously did not get good infomation from the Mariner guy at the time of purchase. I really like my Starcraft and the engine runs good. The only issue I have is that the sterndrive does not stay in position. If it is in the up position I can look at it in a few minutes (5-10 minutes) and will find it has gone to the down position. Other than that the boat runs good and the engine seems to be pretty gentle on fuel. Thanks, again for the help Bondo."

Back