Logo

Now that I got that fuel issue out of the way

B

bobbyj202

"My boat is a 20'-3" c

"My boat is a 20'-3" checkmate persuader bowrider with mag 350.. boat fly's (almost 70mph) but porpis' at all speeds. faster the scarier. I know that I need trim tabs, what is a good brand that wont break the bank?.. I have seen bennit tabs, kinda costly but if thats what it takes then ohh well, just would like to get on plane quicker and not have a scary ride at higher speeds.."

"Well the auto ones are half t

"Well the auto ones are half the price, but no control, try ebay for the bennets.."

Bennett wants 1200.00 for tabs

Bennett wants 1200.00 for tabs for my application because my boat runs almost 70 so its a different class or something.. thats pricey but are bennetts the ones to have?

"I've never seen the equa

"I've never seen the equation, however, I've noticed that for a given hull length you can only go so fast before things get "unstable", i.e. porpose.
If you will notice, the "Cigarette" boats all tend to be rather long.

The ultimate (IMHO) exhibition of barely controlled instability is the unlimited hydros, with the speed garveys not far behind."

"Its on their website to refer

"Its on their website to refer to them if your boat goes over 60.. its thier "sport series tabs" if memory serves me right.. I only know what I have read. I did email them and they sent me some link to their site for these tabs they recomend that are 1200.00. I never had tabs before, but I know this boat needs them bad.."

"Is it porpoising (bow ris

"Is it porpoising (bow rises and falls) or "chine walking" (bounces port to starboard). Does it do it at all trim angles or only at max trim for max speed?

Does trimming the drive down decrease the bouncing? Adding tabs will keep the bow down and also scrub some speed due to additional drag - just like trimming the drive down. You might put a straight edge on the bottom about three feet from the transom about three feet forward to see if the bottom is flat. Porpoising can be caused by a "rocker" - a bulge in the bottom just forward of the transom. Boat goes up on the rocker then down, up, down, etc.
You can also put a "wedge" where the transom and bottom meet - would require some glass work. Start small and increase as needed. That will help force the bow down at higher speeds - again will lose some top end speed."

"It does it all the time, wors

"It does it all the time, worse when trimmed out and higher speeds. I want to plane faster too, it doesnt chine walk that bad (i can deal with it), closer to 70 its a little unstable but prietty much just porpis' like a bit*h..............."

Back