Logo

1990 conversion to electronic ignition

laogong1947

I converted to electronic igni

I converted to electronic ignition and used the same coil. Within 1.5 hours running engine progressively ran rougher under load and would only run at idle. I changed coil to higher output. Engine ran fine for 1 hour then would not start after docking for 3 days. Can a higher output coil cause a problen with the electronic ignition? I was under the impression that electonic igniton could use a higher out put coil. Please comment on whether the coil or the electronic igniton is likely the problem.

Is it a Pertronix ignition?
D

Is it a Pertronix ignition?
Did you replace the ESA or put in the diode fix?
How did you wire the ignition so it gets a full 12 volts?

"I do not have the details you

"I do not have the details you ask, the module installation was done at a local shop. I put the coil in myself to address the rough engine symptoms while on a boating trip. I am on the road and can likely get the brand of the module when I return. Are some modules better than others? Which is the best? The mechanic is competant and I believe the module was installed correctly. My question is; are these modules sensitive to what coil is used? I thought the electronics was an electronic switch that fired timed sparks to the plugs. Seems this circuit should always have robust design."

Pertronix seems to be a very c

Pertronix seems to be a very common one out there and they actually sell hi-performance coils to go with them or you can stay with the stock one. There have been several guys though with problems ranging from coils to bad modules and with the OMC you need to have a working ESA (electronic shift assist) and the old ones won't work with electronic ignitions unless you install a diode/resistor fix (Pertronix) or replace the ESA with a newer one built by CDI/Rapair. Some of these ignition modules are also susceptible to damage if the key is left on for a period of time.
If you search in this forum you'll pull up many hits on electronic conversions.

Thanks for the info. Any book

Thanks for the info. Any book that you recommend to completely understand the OMC conversion? I am trying to understand what's going on and what to be carefull of.

Back