Logo

78 OMC that will not shut off with ignition

andersonjw

I have recently purchased a 78

I have recently purchased a 78 Lund Tyee with an OMC inboard/outboard. It will not turn off with the ignition switch. I replaced the switch and still nothing! I have to pull the distributor cap to shut it down. All the wiring I can see looks good. What am I missing?

"what size is the OMC?

Gene

"what size is the OMC?

Generally there will be 2 wires going to the positive side of the coil, one normally feeds 12v during starting from the start solenoid, then when you flip the key to run the solenoid drops out and power comes at a reduced 8-9 volts through the 2nd (resistor) wire. You will need to see which one of these 2 wires is still live after turning off the key and follow it back."

"it's not a great wiring d

"it's not a great wiring diagram but it might help if you don't have a manual

287390.jpg
"

"There are several wires comin

"There are several wires coming out of the coil but I loose them in the 5 rolls of electrical tape that is wrapped all around in there. With my experience level, I do not want to start unwrapping the mess. One other thing that my step dad did before the boat was brought to me is put a kill switch in. What I don't understand, is that it worked but now all of a sudden, nothing! I checked the toggle switch but it is good. Is the solenoid bad?"

"In the above diagram you can

"In the above diagram you can see the coil at top middle, the left side is the positive terminal. There are only 2 wires, if you follow the lighter color one (should purple/black?) you can see it goes down to the starter solenoid, this should not be live while running, if it is then most likely a defective solenoid. The other wire should be purple/red and if you follow it down it splices into 2 purple wire, one goes down to the voltage regulator, the other goes to your dash, this is the wire that comes from the run position on the ignition switch. If your step dad wired in a kill switch properly it would have went into this purple wire somewhere near the helm or right on it. I can really only 3 things that might cause your problem, the ignition switch itself (you replaced already), the starter solenoid leaving that line with 12v while running or possibly the voltage regulator, if it's either of the last 2 then your kill switch won't help you anymore than the ignition switch. That's why you need to separate the 2 wires on the pos side of the coil and see which one is keeping the ignition live. You need a multimeter ot at the very least a test light. If you think this may be beyond your abilities then possibly you have a friend that can help or it's off to shop?"

Back