Logo

96 mercruiser 30l sputters and dies after about 30 min

evenson83

"i have a 1995 stardust houseb

"i have a 1995 stardust houseboat with twin 3.0l mercs. we just purchased the boat at the end of last year. the guy who had it before me never took it out at all. he had the boat for 3 years and never put fuel in it. at the end of last year it seamed to run fine. this year the right runs fine but the left does not. when we head out on the lake everything is good it runs fine no problems until about 30 minutes under way. the problem seems to start around 3000rpms when it starts falling on its face and eventually dies then go to restart and does not want to run, but let it set about 10 minutes and the problem repeats itself. so with this asked a couple of mechanics and all told me the same its in the ignition something is breaking down when it gets to tempeture. so with this here is what has been done. being i have twins i started switching parts until i hopefully find the problem. i have switched the coil, coil wire, the two wire wiring harness with the resistor in it, replace the plugs, replaced the cap, replaced the pickup coil in the cap, unplugged both tach's. i am running out of opinnions and need some info from anyone willing to offer there opinion. the also run off the same tanks and there is a generator also so all 3 suck fuel from the same tanks. i am leaning toward rebuilding the carb, and also wandering if it could be a fuel pump issue. any help is appriciated.
thanks"

"Kevin,
I had a similiar pr

"Kevin,
I had a similiar problem with my 470 Merc. I replaced all ignition parts and pieces like you. Eventually I turned to the Carb and Fuel Pump. Found that the Fuel Pump had an old filter in the bowl (also found small amount of water in the bowl). I replaced the filter in the bowl and replaced the small filter at the Carb intake. So far so good. Good Luck. Rick"

Back