Logo

Timing

fxchopper

"Hi, I'm new to this forum

"Hi, I'm new to this forum. Hope I can help out.

Have a 1982 mercruiser 228 (305 Chevy). Runs good but, when I put a timing light on it, the mark on the flywheel shows about 4 inches to the right (clockwise) from the stationary indicator on the block. What may have happened, and how do I remedy the situation? Just bought the boat, so what ever happened was from previous owner. Distributor in a tooth off? sequence of plug wires started in cap at wrong tower? Or something else?

I timed it by ear. Advanced to the point of kicking back at start-up, then retarded it to a smooth turn-over at start-up."

"Guy,
I know it's suppos

"Guy,
I know it's supposed to be 8*

Bt,
Yes, on #1 plug wire.

If anyone has a small block Chevy with points and Mallory distributor, where is #1 plug wire plugged into the dist. cap in relation to the hold down clamps? And what position are the hold down clamps (as in 9:00 and 3:00). I think that might be the problem. Someone replaced the wires at one time, and didn't start where #1 should be, so they just turned the dist. to compensate. That's why after I time it by ear, the timing mark on the crank is so far off (refer to original post)

Bob"

good way to tell where its at

good way to tell where its at robert is bring #1 up on compression and remove the cap and look. and are you using a timing light with the advance dial on the back if so make sure the dial is set to zero. correct me anyone if im wrong but i dont think you can wire order one wrong and correct it with the timing

also robert just a thought you

also robert just a thought you may want to check the dist gear for slippage at some point in its life

"Steve,
No. one is definit

"Steve,
No. one is definitely pointing to no. one. The engine is running great with timing it by ear. My only issue is that I can't time it with a light to get it dead on (see original post). That's why I'd like to know exactly where the wires and cap are positioned on a similar model. The mark on the harmonic balancer is way too far off for it to be anything else."

Back