Logo

Chrysler 300 outboard help pls

slaymet69

"hi everybody im new to this f

"hi everybody im new to this forum,and i would like to say i like what u guys have going on here. i recently bought a 1978 chrysler cv-223 boat. its 22' long and has a dodge 318 motor in it. it also has a chrysler 300 outdrive. i was wondering how to do a service on the outdrive and what ereas to look for wear or anything bad.i hear everyone say pressure filling from the bottom . what is that. also the motor doesnt crank and i think the cylinders might have rust in them . i put trans fluid in the cylinders a couple weeks ago to brek deposits but i was wondering should i get a large socket for the cranknut or how would i manualy turn it over. if i used the cranknut to turn it over would it twist off? i think it is a HA MODEL 300 cuz it has a big chrysler plate on it like a car,if that makes a difference. so if anyone can send me some links or has a pdf it would be greatly appreciated. thankyou -robert"

"Robert please make two posts.

"Robert please make two posts. One for the 300 Stern drive, the other the 318. Have a read of the previous posts, including the archives. Each posting that is useful print it out. The person who has a good knowledge on the 300 leg is Dave Kain, he has spare parts for them. You will see his interaction on this site. Do not limit your reading just to Chrysler in relation to the current position on your motor. The guys on this site have a wealth of knowledge. Respect all who offer assistance. Frederick Pel"

The HA was the first model 300

The HA was the first model 300 drive. Pressure filling simply means buying a pump that fits a bottle of 90W gear oil and filling from the bottom and you can usually find a 300 manual floating around ebay. You may want to do what Fredrick said and search the archives for how to unfreeze your motor.

"or you could buy this 318 off

"or you could buy this 318 off me, 300$
michigan
287277.jpg
"

"If your engine is siezed up,

"If your engine is siezed up, its most ltikely caused by rotted out manifolds leaking water into the cylinders and rusting em up. if it sat too long, that motor is likely junk."

"Have saved many a seized engi

"Have saved many a seized engine with the breaker bar and a remote starter switch. Once you break it loose, mix some motor honey and regular oil and squirt in each spark plug hole with a shot of fuel. Spin it and keep repeating till you get a few running. (I used 2-stroke oil in the fuel for an easier break in). Once running, keep it running.

After 1/2 hour, hook up some fuel rich in Yamaha "ring free" and take it for a ride. (good idea to have a tow boat with you.) After you put new manifolds on.

Do not run it if it heats up or looses oil pressure. You still want to have a core if you need an engine.

Now this is going to raise some eyebrows- but in extreme cases, with nothing to loose we have put 24 vt to the starter. You must disconnect everything else. Only to the big input wire. And watch the starter temp. Jump on the breaker bar and tap the starter button.

Some of the best running engines came from this process."

Back