Logo

Mercruiser 305 overheats runs on beer

jake305

"I have a 1987 Celebrity 18 ft

"I have a 1987 Celebrity 18 fte with a 305 v8. Fairly certain it has an Alpha 1.

It may run on beer, but have not tried that yet so not sure.

Water doesn't circulate and suspect the impeller but want to be sure before I tear it apart. How can I be sure?

Is the 305 a 5 liter or a 5.7 liter?

Also, there appears to be gear oil under the engine. So worried about that too.

Suggestions?"

"87, is alpha I Gen I

Let m

"87, is alpha I Gen I

Let me know if that works.. then I'd have a reason to buy more.

Circulate? or get pumped to the engine at all?

Overheat can be from about 10-15 differnet things depending on the engine config.

305ci is 5.0L 5.7L is 350ci

Gear oil under the engine needs to be check thoroughly to see where it's coming from, get a Bright light and start looking.

Check your outdrive oil level(top drain plug-Cold) and quality (bottom drain plug-with the top one still in)"

"I'm struggling to underst

"I'm struggling to understand how would the lower unit oil get into the boat and under the engine?

Is it possible that the two problems I'm having are connected? If the impeller went bad, would that cause oil to leak out into the boat under the engine?"

"No the two problems are only

"No the two problems are only connected If your sterndrive in is need of a service!
Pull the leg. You sound like its time for a water pump overhaul, there is also good reason to look for gear oil in the bellows ( gear oil in bilge)
which would be the input shaft seal.
If this seal in in fact leaking I would sudgest that you tear down the leg completly and reseal the complete unit.

Rember that all things wear evenly!
Always a shame to do the same job twice.
Regards
BJ"

Back