Logo

Ebbtide Mercruiser question

scp

"I'm looking to buy a used

"I'm looking to buy a used Ebbtide boat from an individual (2000 Ebbtide Campione 182 with a 4.3l Mercruiser). However, the back of the lower unit appears to have some discoloration around the bolts (might be able to clean it off). You can see this in the picture I've attached. I just wondered if that was a normal occurrence, or if this is a sign of a bigger problem?

Sean

287078.jpg
Mercruiser 4.3

"That's called Galvanic Co

"That's called Galvanic Corrosion, from sitting in the water, you may want to make sure the Merury Cathode system is working and conntected properly and all contacts have good clean contacts. Make sure the ANODES are not more than 50% corroded, or painted (sometimes people paint them not knowing what they do) There are anodes on the trim rams and the front of the cavitation plate there, also a plate just above the propeller.
There should be a ground cable going from the drive part of the gimbal housing to the boat side, that helps with the stray electrical current in the water, and on the steering arm inside the boat.

Which it looks like they've hit some rocks or beached it a few times, definately get a new prop and keep that one as a spare."

"ps.. have the person pull the

"ps.. have the person pull the bottom drain plug from the drive quickly to see the color of the oil, and make sure there's no water in there."

Back