Logo

470 mercruiser needs oil

rutt0618

"my 470 sounds like its not ge

"my 470 sounds like its not gettin oil, i replaced the pump,that didnt seem to help. valve cover is off and when started there is no oil sqirting out push rods. what else should i be trying"

Exactly how did you replace th

Exactly how did you replace the oil pump? I ask because theres a trick to not snapping the hex shaft.
The cam drives the dist and that turns the oil pump thru the hex shaft.You may have a broken shaft

"dropped the oil pan, unbolted

"dropped the oil pan, unbolted the pick up tube and then the pump,removed the tube from pump 1st"

marked rotor on distributor an

marked rotor on distributor and removed rotor and checked hex shaft but it doesnt seem broke. rotor turns and turns shaft. put shaft back in and aligned the oil pump - hand tightened- removed and reinstalled distributor to insure proper alignment with pump and torqued it down.

"Thats what I needed.Done corr

"Thats what I needed.Done correctly.
May not squirt out ,just dribble out.Have you installed a mech. oil gauge and is there a reading. Only other option is one of the oil gallery plugs on either side of the lifter rack is popped out."

"i dont have a guage and dont

"i dont have a guage and dont know where to attach or install if i did, on 2 different ocaisions i noticed 2 different push rods squirt but have not seen since. dont know nothing about checkin for gallery plugs. the day we started having this issue we out about 2 hours then took a break to eat went back to start boat and heard loud squeal , shut off saw a puff of blue smoke in engine compartment, waited then try restart heard engine noise like metal to metal"

"oil look fine when i removed

"oil look fine when i removed pan , no metal shavings not dirty no milky look, i removed the drive unit cause if i let idle a min the motor seemed to bog down like under heavy load, wanted to make sure drive not causing that problem.have not let run long cause dont want to cause more damage"

Oil pressure sending unit is r

Oil pressure sending unit is removed and a manual pressure gauge is installed.

Oil return galleys are drain holes in the head for the oil to return to the pan.

Remove the distributor and run the pump w/a drill to see if any oil reaches the rockers. You won't hurt the engine this way. No oil coming to the rockers means to start over.

You do have sufficient oil in the pan?

manual pressure gauged at 75ps

manual pressure gauged at 75psi
plenty of oil in pan.

compression in cylinders 1-4 at 120-130psi for all 4 checked ea one 3x

would that be a long hex key to drill the pump? Trying to get boat back on lake by Thurs... we need help. some people say it may be bearings or connector rod bearings. your thoughts?

"Did you run the motor to arri

"Did you run the motor to arrive at that reading?
If so, the oil pressure is sky high . most likely caused by spun main bearings. Short answer is the main bearing has a hole in it that lines up with the hole in the block to supply oil to the main crank journal. The journal has a hole thru it to supply oil to the conn rod bearings.Shut that flow off and the oil has nowhere to go ."

"we have not run the motor lon

"we have not run the motor long ...15 secs. today i drug the boat to a nearby racing shop and ask them 4 a listen , one of the guys there thought the starter was hanging up.. staying engaged with the fly wheel. bogging the engine down and not allowing oil to flow up cause we shuttin it down... starter is bad, will replace then check out rest of motor"

"replaced the starter and moto

"replaced the starter and motor starts fine no more noise... took out on lake appeared ok at first but then stopped boat and heard new noise from back of engine, felt around back there and discovered an exhaust emmission from a hole at the top of the head close to where valve cover bolts on... i put my thumb over hole and engine sounds normal.. the longer it runs the motor sounds like its under stress and smells hot but temp guage reads 140 and my oil pressure shoots to 80 plus at 3/4 throttle. about 40 at idle but fluctuates alot"

"nobody got nothing on this...

"nobody got nothing on this... i would appreciate any help at all. give it a read let me know what u think... desperate here,, please"

Richard:

The only thing tha

Richard:

The only thing that comes to mind is a hole rusted thru the manifold. Take a picture.

"I will try to get a picture o

"I will try to get a picture of where the exhaust is leaking out , the odd thing is ... it appears to be a machined hole with just a couple of threads at base . when i removed the valve cover to make sure it wasnt a stuck lifter ( when i first heard it),I could see a machined channel inside the head that leads up and out to this hole where the exhuast is venting... this hole is at the top rear of the head,. I do not know the history of this boat at all.. we bought it in april, but the engine is clean no slugde any where. oil is clean. even before i changed the oil pump. the oil still looks good"

Back