Logo

TrimTilt problems

gkm24

Regular Contributor
"I'm sure this has been on

"I'm sure this has been on here before but can't find it. My Trim/tilt system works perfectly out of the water and also has new trim limit swith(correctly adjusted) and trim angle switch. If I stand on ithe leg and get someone to operate it it works fine but in the water under load it does not function. I just see a deflection on the voltmeter and the trim guage does not register and the leg does not adlust the angle of the boat. Is there a pressure valve in the hydraulic system that could be leaking? Fluid level is ok. My next action is to change the fluid but after that I need assistance. As I say, it all works perfectly out of water. ???"

"Did you splice new trim level

"Did you splice new trim level and trim limit switches? Or, are there cracks in the wires? It may be shorting out in the water."

"No I did,nt splice cables, I

"No I did,nt splice cables, I did it when I had the rear drive off replaceing the Gimbal bearing. It works in the water but not when the boat is produceing enough power to be planing. It is as if the thrust from the prop is too much for the hydraulics..."

"Maybe you should reset the tr

"Maybe you should reset the trim position sender on the strbd. side and the trim limit switch on the port side; set it so it stops when there is 22.25" between the center of the cylinder mounting bolt heads.

From what I understand you are saying and reading the hydraulic problem section of my manual, you have air in the system. Follow the air bleed procedure in the manual."

Thanks for that. I will change

Thanks for that. I will change the fluid and bleed the system. Does your manual say what type of fluid should be used in the system?

"Look closely at the three pin

"Look closely at the three pin connector at the pump, the fuse link and make sure you have good connections at all times. Sometime when you accelerate the force is enough to pull a connector apart just enough to loose contact. seen it before!

Also check your posotive connection at the battery for good and clean. also really check your ground connection.

It almost sounds like bad connection somewhere due to the fact it works perfectly when at rest but not under power.

Fluid in my opinion has anything to do with it."

"What fluid,

Mercruiser Pow

"What fluid,

Mercruiser Power steering fluid or dextron III GM transmission fluid. Some older systems require a heavier oil but your should not. What year is your boat. DETAILS DETAILS!!!!!!!"

"Mercruiser Power steering

"Mercruiser Power steering fluid or dextron III GM transmission fluid." Per Kghost. Either one will work. If your fluid is somewhat red then use the dextron III. Clear brown motor oil look use trim/power steering fluid.

Back