Logo

Mercruiser 228 Chevy 305 trouble

letsrock

"I have a 1984 Mercruiser 228

"I have a 1984 Mercruiser 228 with a Chevy 305 I/O. Yesterday the boat started right up at the dock. I cruised at 5 mph for the 15 minutes it takes to get out of the channel with no problems. I then slowly give it gas to get up to speed and the trouble started. The first three times is slowly gave it throtle I had no issues then the boat just starts to get on plane and the engine sputters, sputters and conks out. It restarts but once I give it gas again it croaks and doesnt start again. I changed the gas/water filter in case maybe there was water in the lines but no luck. I open the carb and it appears to be getting gas so I am guessing its not a fuel issue. Do I have to assume its a spark issue? I am not to mechannically inclined so please reply in "engines for dummies" language. Someone mentioned maybe the coil? It has electronic ignition so their are no points which someone else mentioned. Please help. Thanks."

"Carb accellerator pump workin

"Carb accellerator pump working? Look into the carb, cold engine off, and see if there are two streams of fuel when the throttle is pushed forward. No? Rebuild the carb. Do a basic tuneup."

"Do a basic tuneup. Tell us t

"Do a basic tuneup. Tell us the color of the spark plugs; black, tan brown, off-white, oily."

"I had to clean 2 carbs so far

"I had to clean 2 carbs so far this season for the same problem.Accel pump works fine , after removing the top cover and removing the venturi tubes,the copper tubes were coated with what i can describe as a green moss type material complete blocking the metering holes. A through cleaning and they worked perfectly"

I am in the process of replaci

I am in the process of replacing the fuel filter (store was closed)..Does the open end of the filter face the carb or the tube entering the carb? I will replace the spark plugs on Wednesday. Also I checked the coil wire and although I did not see a spark I heard plenty of crackling so can I assume the coil is fine?

"install the spring first, the

"install the spring first, then the filter (the closed side facing the carb). Should the filter ever get clogged, the pressure would push the filter inward against the spring supplying the fuel."

"I dont recall seeng a spring

"I dont recall seeng a spring come out, is it possible that it remained in there when I took the filter out?"

Bt. Doctor:

I know algae ca

Bt. Doctor:

I know algae can grow in diesel fuel; is algae what you think was in it?

"well, i got the new carb filt

"well, i got the new carb filter in and it started right up but there is a small stream of gas leaking from the nut, any tips on how to best seal this up?"

If you did not forget any seal

If you did not forget any seals and washers then loosen the tubing nut on the filter and at the fuel pump and wiggle the fuel line. Slowly tighten each connection. The flare end of the tubing needs to be in alignment w/the male end of the connection.

"Hard and crusty, has a greeni

"Hard and crusty, has a greenish tint like a copper penny corroded.Only found on the venturi tubes and there always plugged with it."

"Sounds like brackish, high mi

"Sounds like brackish, high minerall content or salt water damage for that much corrosion."

"GUY - the plugs appeared to b

"GUY - the plugs appeared to be of normal color with the normal amount of wetness from gas, I am fairly certain it is getting a spark and the plugs were not oily or milky or anything"

Ron:

"the plugs appeare

Ron:

"the plugs appeared to be of normal color with the normal amount of wetness from gas."

Wet plugs are not normal to me. Is the carb leaking?

"actually I just discovered th

"actually I just discovered that there appears to be a leak between the carb and the manifold, maybe a bad gasket. Could that lead to my problems or tis this just another seperate problem"

"[b]"I am not to mechannic

""I am not to mechannically inclined so please reply in "engines for dummies" language. "

Ayuh,... OK,... Hire a Mechanic,...
Before you Blow Up yourself,+ your boat..."

" leak between the carb an

" leak between the carb and the manifold"

That will screw up alot. Replace it.

"These days with the advent of

"These days with the advent of ethanol polluted gas I strongly recommend that everyone install a fuel filter with a water seperator. Back "in the day" (Pre ethanol pollution) spinon filters were available with an integral water seperator section as water was not a big problem, now things are different. What I recommend is the use of the "RACOR" style filter setup. They have one that is a replacement for MERC (and OMC) spin ons that has a permanent, drainable while in place, water seperator section.
It is available as: a whole setup including mounting base (to augment existing inline filters... this should only be installed by a experienced mechanic, not the average handyperson.), a filter element plus water seperator (if you already use spinons) or just the filter element (to replace the filter element once you have one and only need to replace the partical filter)
No... I don't have any connection with RACOR or any of it's business partners. Sierra may also offer one as well.

BTW... that green stuff in the carb is very likely corrosion from water in the gas.
And....not all fuel filters have water seperators."

"Does anyone know what model R

"Does anyone know what model Rockchester carb I will need to replace my Mercruise 228, 1347 8296 (this is the number from the label on my carb)?"

Back