Logo

Honda 2002 225

rocknblues

"Hi, im new on this site. I ha

"Hi, im new on this site. I have had numerous vessels over the past 45 years. Clocked many thousands of hours on inboards, I/o, both gas and diesel, and always maintained and serviced them and they never let me down.. This is my first experience with an outboard and could be my last. Have a 2002 Honda with 260 hrs on it. Have had since new. Always serviced regularly. The first 100 hrs trouble free. Last 150 hrs problems. One recurring problem #2 10 amp fuse keeps blowing between 2000 and 3000 rpm. Also have lost 1000 rpm at wot (6000 > 5000). All usually causes have been checked out. prop, hull bottom, fuel, ignition. Oil changed every 75 hrs; all new fuel filters twice, new plugs,) Service tech can't diagnosis. Ran scan and field tested. Shows nothing. Any ideas?"

"Hello,
First thing you need

"Hello,
First thing you need to know that you disconnect the ignition in 6300, so watch it did not get it.
Second, you need to know what fuse it, who does he belong?
Loss of power this thing problematic, it could start wide fuel tipe and end with cable unwitting"

"You've likely got a fuel

"You've likely got a fuel feed problem. The #2 fuse is for the fuel pump. I assume the Tech drained the VST. Correct? If not, then do it yourself. You could have a faulty pump or a bad electrical connection to the pump. But before replacing the pump (they are pretty rugged), I would do a thorough check of the fuel lines. You can blow the fuel pump two ways - (1) a clogged or restricted fuel line, or (2) an air leak. So, I would start my diagnosis by testing for an air leak. Several experts on this forum have suggested using a clear plastic line to temporarily replace the current fuel feed lines to look for air bubbles in the fuel line. I would start with the fuel line from the low pressure filter to the VST. It could be something as simple as one of the filters not being seated properly or a faulty seal on a filter or connector. If you are using an external fuel-water seperator, check those seals and connections thoroughly.

To check for restrictions, check to see if your pump-up bulb is collapsing at high RPM's. If so, then you have a restriction between the tank pick up and the bulb. The normal culpert is a clogged screen on the pick-up inside the tank. Carefully blow low pressure compressed air back through it, may clear it. Otherwise, pull it and inspect. Could be a restriction on or in the pump up balb. Just keep checking for restrictions all along the fuel line feeds.

If all that fails, replace the fuel pump."

Back