Logo

Trim troubles

despy

Regular Contributor
"I know this subject has been

"I know this subject has been addressed to some extent but I believe my problem is slightly different.
Info first.
1974 Fibreform recently updated from a 302 to a 351 marine rebuilt. Leg recently replaced with a approximately 1990 alpha 1also a rebuilt.
Ok, it started out with the leg not wanting to go down from the trailer position without a little help to get it started.Recently it has refused to go down at all and although the motor{pump} runs, it doesn`t seem to have any resistance , sort of like a starter that has a busted bendix and just spins freely. Now, if you hit the up buttons for a sec, quite often it will then go down. Well today it was in the down position and refused to go up, acting exactly the same as when it wouldn`t go down. Fluid level has been checked and is ok. Because the motor is working , not sure it would be electrical. Sort of acts like it has air in the system but was lead to believe these were selfbleeding?
One other note, I have had the boat for 3 years and the up button has never worked without also pushing the trailering button at the same time which I know isn`t right but have never gotten around to fixing! Do you think these two problems are related , and it may well be an electrical problem . For all I know they up and down may be both trying to operate at the same time,LOL!
blush.gif
."

You have to bleed the air from

You have to bleed the air from the lines; see a manual and repair the elec. problem w//the trim switch.

""...the motor{pump} runs,

""...the motor{pump} runs, it doesn`t seem to have any resistance , sort of like a starter that has a busted bendix and just spins freely."

Pull the pump motor and see if the pump keyway is stripped or damaged and look at the motor shaft for damage; should have a flat screwdriver end that inserts into the keyway."

"Guy, maybe it would be best t

"Guy, maybe it would be best to give the operational(or non-operational) history.
Bought the boat 3 years ago and trim worked fine except for having to push the up and trailering button together to get it to trim up. Last year had intermittent problem with it sometimes needing help to go down by initially pushing down on the drive. This year the intermittent problem with down got worse and sometimes would have to hit up and then down a couple of times before it would go down. . Last week, checked the fluid level and found it low so topped it up.Previous owner had ATF container by the pump so suspect it had needed topping up occasionally when he had it. Went to move the boat a couple days ago and leg was very slow going up.Other than the switch problem, motor runs, legs does go up and down some of the time and would make me think it`s a fluid or valving problem.If there is air in the system, would you bleed by operating the pump and cracking one of the the hoses to the cylinders or is there a better or more acceptable method?"

"remove the trim rams from the

"remove the trim rams from the outdrive side and let them hang down, cycle the rams in, check oil, cycle them out, check oil."

Back