Logo

Temp readings at WOT

danielcfi

"Howdy,i have a 1985 260 weeke

"Howdy,i have a 1985 260 weekender with the 260 merc, eng runs good but when i run WOT 4500 rpm the temp guage climbs to just about the red,if i back off the power 300-400 rpm the needle drops right to halfway mark and will stay,drop it to idle and it goes below 1/2,only at WOT does it flirt with redzone,has new impeller,water feed hose,bellows.exhaust flappers all done this past winter by a merc repair shop,could it be a bad sending unit?eng runs strong,no oil/water mix,the port risor does run hotter than starboard at idle but otherwise if i did not look at guage i would not notice any problems,any direction i should go?
Thanx

"havent checked yet, could a b

"havent checked yet, could a bad t-stat cause a rise in temps so quickly or possible partly stuck stat?can you pull hoses from risor while boat in water to chk for obstructions?"

"sounds like another boat with

"sounds like another boat with the circ water pump going bad, check out everything else before spending the $150.00 for the circ pump"

can the t-stat and circ pump

can the t-stat and circ pump be changed in water or do i need to pull boat out will water flow into boat or just what is in hoses and engine?

daniel i know this may sound c

daniel i know this may sound crazy but when your chasing temp problems anything is worth a shot. check your connections on temp gauge i know it sounds crazy but that was my fix

"", could a bad t-stat cau

"", could a bad t-stat cause a rise in temps so quickly or possible partly stuck stat?"

Yes; mine is 140 F. and would not always open until 175 F. - 200 F. and then drop to 140 F. Installed a new Merc. 140 F. T'stat. and never gone over 140 F. since."

"can the t-stat and circ p

"can the t-stat and circ pump be changed in water or do i need to pull boat out will water flow into boat or just what is in hoses and engine?

T'stat - yes

Circ. pump - some water - change on water not recommended.

Back