Logo

Merc 43lx Milky oil then not

unixdood

"ok so here is a new one for m

"ok so here is a new one for me. I had oil that looked like egg nog in my merc 4.3lx. I changed the oil and filter. Ran the boat for about a hour and the oil seems fine. Ran the boat for another hour. The oil seemed fine. Drained it all again and looked like oil, not egg nog. Put new oil in and another new filter and the oil is fine still after about 4 more hours of running in the lake. Any ideas? I was thinkin a cracked block or something but wouldnt the oil changed fairly quickly? Also, what is the conseqences of running the boat with water in the oil? Will it sieze eventually or very quickly?
Thanks"

just an fyi on the engine. I

just an fyi on the engine. I have about 40 lbs idle and 50-55 lbs running for oil pressure and the temp never gets above 135?

Bill: What year?

If the oi

Bill: What year?

If the oil is not getting contaminated w/water anymore take a look at both exhaust shutters. One or both may be damaged which will let water get into thru the exhaust valves when you stop fast and water backwashes against the boat.

"the boat is an 88 searay with

"the boat is an 88 searay with the origional engine. Looks like the water got into the oil again. I hooked the hose up to the muffs on the outdrive. Then started the boat. Ran for about 10 min on muffs. No overheating, engine ran awsome, bt then checked the oil again on the dipstick and was milky again. Does that sond like a cracked block or head gasket? Or hopefully just the exhaust shutters? Ho can I tell?
Thanks again for all the info"

Pull the spark plugs. If ther

Pull the spark plugs. If there is water then it is most likely an exhaust man/riser. No water in cylinder then look for cracked head gasket or block.

"are you talking about water o

"are you talking about water on the plug or in the cylinder? I can see in the cylinder but the plugs were dry from the #1, #2, #5 and #6 cylinders. Im hoping its not a cracked block. Where is the most common area for the block to crack for this type of issue? As I said, the engine runs great, just milky oil."

"in the cylinder? yes

inte

"in the cylinder? yes

internal water jacket, cracked head or just about any place where water is close to oil to get water in the oil"

ok looks like a cracked head.

ok looks like a cracked head. Can I bolt on 4.3L head on my 4.3LX engine? What is the diff in engines? Thanks again guys. Your all so knowledgeable. Its great to have a board like this!

"how do I know if it is or is

"how do I know if it is or is not a vortec? Its an 88 Merc 4.3lx with thunderbolt IV ignition. Also, your reply was "If it is a non-Vortec engine, use the same type head." Does that mean I can use a 4.3l head on my 4.3lx?
Thanks so much!"

Back