Logo

Mercruiser surging after 20 minute warmup

rogerk

"I have a 76 GlasPly with a Me

"I have a 76 GlasPly with a Mercruiser(Ford 302 & 2 bbl carb) with 888 outdrive.

Initially when the engine is cold I can start the engine and it will run at idle for about 20 minutes before stopping. When I restart the engine it will run only at about 1000 rpms and then slows and revs several times before dying again.

I've drained the fuel tank, put in fresh fuel, changed fuel filters twice, checked the hoses and fittings for fuel leaks.

Not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?"

Does the idle smooth out and g

Does the idle smooth out and get rough when turning the mixture screws in/out? When is the last time the carb was rebuilt? Is the choke functioning properly?

This isn't the original mo

This isn't the original motor in the boat. The new engine and carb were put in probably 20 years ago and nothing has been done with it since. So the carb has never been rebuilt. I assume the choke is functioning properly since it seems to work when cold. But not sure it is opening up after it gets warm.

It's a 4 bbl carb not 2bbl

It's a 4 bbl carb not 2bbl. Sorry for the bad info. I haven't tried adjusting the mixture screws in and out. But when cold it runs like a top.

The choke plate should be vert

The choke plate should be verticle after 20 mins. When you give it more throttle it dies? That sounds like a defective accellerator pump. If the carb hasn't been touched in 20 years it is deserving of a rebuild.

Back