Logo

6V53 blown What now

waynedj

"Ironically, in the middle of

"Ironically, in the middle of a series of oil analysis tests, my starboard 6V53 shut down. I was running the engine a little hard at 2000RPM (normally cruise at 1500). The engine was exuding smoke from around the manifold. I turned the engine over for a couple of seconds to see if had seized, and it was running really rough. I limped into the marina on the other engine, and once the engine had cooled, I tried to start it. It's frozen and will not turn over. I pulled an oil sample, and it seemed normal, with no water. I'll know for sure once I get the oil sample test results.

I'm sure there are all manner of possibilities in what is broken. I suspect a seized piston or two, maybe some valve issues. I've heard of the in-frame rebuild kit. Can anyone explain how those work? I checked the extensive documentation in my manuals, and there is no mention on how to remove pistons in-frame. I really really really don't want to have the engine removed from my boat to have this repaired.

Any help out there?"

"remove air box covers on both

"remove air box covers on both sides of engine,you can look at pistons and liners to see if look good or bad,try to turn engine over. if every things looks ok ,then remove air inlet to check blower."

"Thanks, Marvin. I'll do t

"Thanks, Marvin. I'll do that. Do you have an online resource that discusses the in-frame rebuild? I'm contemplating rebuilding both engines for the peace of mind.

Naturally, I will have a professional mechanic execute this work. Any recomendations for a mechanic in the San Francisco Bay area?"

better find a professional det

better find a professional detroit diesel mechanic to check out and do the work on these engines. not just enyone can do them right

Back