Logo

2000 Mercury 50 L carburator replacement

srazac

"Hello'
My mechanic menti

"Hello'
My mechanic mentioned that I may need a new carburetor or have it rebuilt (2 barrel). I have a 2000 bayliner w/ 5.0L engine & the carb is DUMPING GAS into the engine. It was hard starting and stalling at idle. He PRESSURE TEST CYLINDERS and they are fine. I can find a rebuilt carb for a few couple hundred bucks on eBay. How hard is it to replace a carburetor for a moderately handy person? I see 4 bolts and gaskets? Will there have to be other adjustment, timing, fuel/air ratio etc also? Trying to save a few bucks. I figure its easier than having to rebuild it myself. thanks for your help"

Ray:

Since you admit that y

Ray:

Since you admit that you are only a moderately handy person why don't you let your mechanic rebuild it for you? How much does he want? A complete kit is about $50 and labor should be about 3-4 hours. If he charges you under $450 you saved money and he is available to take it back for fine adjustments.

Buy it on eBay and you are stuck shipping it back if it doesn't work. There are numerous adjustments to make it work just right.

"3-4 hours ? 10 mins to remove

"3-4 hours ? 10 mins to remove, 30mins to rebuild, 10 mins to install and 15 mins run and adjust.. not more than 1.5 hours I'd say. 25-40 for a kit."

Brian:

I was being generous

Brian:

I was being generous to the mechanic and allowing a fair profit. A reman. Merc. carb is at least $450 the last time I bought one. Dealer wanted $650 just for the carb. A Merc. kit w/a float and accell. pump is about $50 from a dealer here. I usually take my time cleaning the carb and assembling it; about 2 hrs.

"hear ya.. I just got a new Si

"hear ya.. I just got a new Sierra one for mine and dealer cost was 250, ouch.. retails I think 350, now 425 I think, yea.. crazy."

"Gentlemen;
Thanks as usual f

"Gentlemen;
Thanks as usual for your helful feedback. I understood that to take out the carb is fairly easy. To replace any carb back (rebuilt or new) will require some adjustment that a moderately handy person can do( ??). On the other hand rebulding one may require some experience + $50 for kit. A mechanic will probably charge $450 for rebuilding and installation. I found a new rebuilt one at Riverside marine for $220 (w/ an ebay coupon). So I decided to go this route and hopefully installing and all adjustments are not a problem.
Thanks again

{286885,Carburator}

NEW- 5.0L CARBURATOR KIT
Includes All Assy to replace or repair your Carburator.Includes Turn Key Starting (TKS) offers Fuel Injection like convenience without the Fuel Injection Price! Turn Key Starting for Easy Starts Cold or Hot Every Time with no Chocking or Priming! Fits: 305 Ci Mercruiser 1999 - 2008 Years Replaces Mercury branded carb #3310-864942A01 2 BBL For serial #'s between OL619000 & OW300009 Part No. 865961A01 supercedes to 865961A02"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
286888.jpg
rebuilt carb

Back