Logo

Alpha 120 Hesitates

kev4osu

"I've got a mid 80s 120 hp

"I've got a mid 80s 120 hp Alpha. For the past couple years, there has been a hesitation in the motor when going from idle to wide open very quickly (like when taking off and pulling a skiier).

It will die and usually back fire if you try to open in one quick motion, however if you bump it up a little over 1000 rpms and then hammer it, everything ssems to work great.

It starts idles and runs perfectly other wise. I finally took my carb in and had it rebuilt, thinking it had something to do with it but I've had it out twice since then and its still doing it.

I've read where it could be an accelaerator pump linkage issue, like the pump is behind the throttle position on quick takeoffs.

I bent the little linkage rod that activates the pump to make it slightly longer and give the pump a little head start but that didn't seem to help at all.

Anyone have any ideas????

Thanks in advance!"

Very typical of the two barrel

Very typical of the two barrel carbs.......

The accellerator pump in the carb is bad and need replacement.

The only thing reccomened is to rebiuld the carb or have someone who knows how to do it for you.

This will solve your problem......

"Thanks for the quick response

"Thanks for the quick response...

I did have the carb rebuilt, by a real mechanic (not me) just about a month ago. I am assuming the accelerator pump was part of the carb kit and that he replaced it.

Guess I'll double check...."

Why didnt you say that in your

Why didnt you say that in your original post?????

I will let someone else answer your questions.....

sick and tired of waisting answers to questions when 99% of the important details are left OUT!

Kevin:

Does the accellerato

Kevin:

Does the accellerator pump lever have more than one hole in it? Yes? Insert the lever in the hole farthest from the fulcrum point. No? Drill another hole for the pump lever about 3/16" from the original hole. Doing this will allow the accell. pump to pull more fuel into the venturi.

"kghost,

I did say that in

"kghost,

I did say that in my original post....

Below is the quote from the third paragraph, see the second second sentence:

"It starts idles and runs perfectly other wise. I finally took my carb in and had it rebuilt, thinking it had something to do with it but I've had it out twice since then and its still doing it."

Sorry you didn't see it the first time.

Guy, thanks for the hint, I'll try it."

"Guy, you have that the wrong

"Guy, you have that the wrong way around, put the rod closest to the fulcrum to get more fuel from the pump !"

"Chris:

Thanks; you are cor

"Chris:

Thanks; you are correct. The closer to the fulcrum the longer the accellerator pump stroke and the greater the shot of fuel.

Kevin:
I had it wrong.
blush.gif
I reread the manual on the carb.
Insert the lever in the hole CLOSEST to the fulcrum point to increase the shot of fuel.

No extra hole? Drill another hole for the pump lever about half the way from the original hole towards the fulcrum point."

Back