Logo

For Tohatsu Guru re 98 hp conversion

dlalder

"I know you have posted this b

"I know you have posted this before, but I cannot seem to locate it: can you tell me the 3 part numbers needed to convert the '98 2-stroke 8hp to the 9.8, and is this a straight part change only, or do I need to 'tune' the motor or adjust the carb somehow after the replacement? Thanks."

"There are three carb parts yo

"There are three carb parts you can change out, but, I would not suggest you update the carb. The engine will tend to foul out plugs and use an excessive amount of fuel."

"OK, thanks for the advice. I

"OK, thanks for the advice. I thought that was aconversion that could be made successfully, guess not."

"Saying that you can turn the

"Saying that you can turn the 2-stroke 8 into the 9.8 is one of those things I wish I could take back...Yes, you can boost the 8 up to the 9.8 and if you took a brand new 8 out of the crate and converted it you would be happy. Unfortunately an engine that has been kicking around has a certain amount of wear on it. That wear will have an exacerbating effect on the ability of the engine to utilize the additional fuel that the carb mod would provide.

So, people do the mod and have mixed results. As time goes by that slight one to two mph difference in WOT fades and the constant spark plug fouling out weighs the benefit. If I could turn back time......
"

Back