Logo

Going with the thought no such thing as a dumb question

james_taylor

Contributing Member
"Since this site contains a we

"Since this site contains a wealth of knowledge on boats, it is my hope that someone can share with me a place (site)for information (tips on testing, specs, etc)on hydraulic trailer brake service?
It is a tandem axle E-Z loader with the hydraulic acuator.
Thanks you to all who can assist me and for those who have helped in the past.
James Taylor"

I replaced EVERYTHING 2 years

I replaced EVERYTHING 2 years ago on my surge brake tandem trailer. What are your questions?

"Ditto on what Guy says, I rep

"Ditto on what Guy says, I replaced everything too. Even replaced the brake lines. It's pretty easy. If you shop around online you can find some great deals. I got my Actuator for around $100 shipped. Locally every one wanted $200. Backing plate kits for mine were $80 each for 16" 6 lug wheels. Correct me if I'm wrong but on a tandem don't most people just brake a single axle?"

"Guy,
I only use the trailer

"Guy,
I only use the trailer to put the boat in the water in the spring and to take it out in the fall, so I would like to know things like:

How does one tell (test)if the hydraulic acuator is working to spec.?
What happens or should happen during reverse?
How much stopping force is developed?

I can figure out the tires, drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, seals and bearings as they are designed like a car or truck.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing any information you learned during your trailer retrofit.
James
ps. I have attached a snap of the boat.

286801.jpg
Nameless

"How does one tell (test&#

"How does one tell (test)if the hydraulic acuator is working to spec.?

If the brake shoes are not glazed and adjusted properly the boat brakes should lock up the tires when stopping in a moderate hurry; mine do.

Note: When pulling away from a stop, if you feel/hear a strong clunk the shock absorber is worn out.

What happens or should happen during reverse?

Nothing if you have drum brakes. Disc brakes require a solenoid actuated by the backup light circuit to release the calipers.

How much stopping force is developed?

I don't have a number but if all is adjusted properly the trailer brakes lock if the tow vehicle doesn't slow its braking procedure.

Nice boat; just what I'm looking for.

Pugent S.: One axle has brakes on my trailer which weighs 4,000+ lbs. w/boat and junk."

"Thanks for the information Gu

"Thanks for the information Guy and for the compliment on the boat.

This shock absorber you mention, where would I find this?

The trailer has drum brakes so that eliminates the backing up question.

PugetSounder: I too only have brakes on one axle (rear) and with the boat, fuel and the "junk" it probably weighs about 3,800 to 4,000lbs."

"If you have to change everyth

"If you have to change everything go over to disk brakes. A boat that has 4 wheel with drum brakes will have the same stopping power if it only had disk brakes on 2 wheels. I would do all 4 because you cannot ever have enough brakes.
As for your existing brakes. Adjust em up. See what you get. Most surge brakes need a tap on your brake pedal to set followed by steady pressure. If you hit the brakes and the car/truck pulls to one side,a wheel cylinder on the other side of the trailer is not working."

"Guy,
Thanks for the link. V

"Guy,
Thanks for the link. Very informative.
Carl,
I thank you for your advice and for the tip about the the wheel cylinder.

Have a great July 4th.
James"

Back